16th Century Novgorod Female Persona

  • Meisha
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2008
      I have been doing a lot of research but seem to keep hitting the
      wrong time period or incomplete/inaccurate info.

      I have decided to go with an early to mid 16th century female
      merchant woman, living in Novgorod.

      I would like to find some patterns or images of what was worn in the
      time period. Ideas on fabrics and patterns that would be used.

      I started making a Sarafan but I'm not liking the way it is going.
      I still might be able to turn it into a Letnik if I can find some
      pattern help. Both of these may be too early.

      I've made a pattern for a kokoshnik but have been unable to find out
      if gems were also used or if it was just pearls. The design I have
      made is mostly pearls but with a scattering of stones such as jade,
      ruby, and amethyst.

      I also need a good pattern for a povojnik. I've tried a couple of
      times and nothing I have made looks or feels right when I put it on.

      Milesha Kulikova
      commonly known as Meisha
    • Meisha
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2008
        I saw a reply to this but I was looking at it on my blackberry and
        deleted it (stupid me) Could the person that replied please resend.

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Meisha" <mladymeisha@...> wrote:

        > I have been doing a lot of research but seem to keep hitting the
        > wrong time period or incomplete/inaccurate info.
        >
        > I have decided to go with an early to mid 16th century female
        > merchant woman, living in Novgorod.
        >
        > I would like to find some patterns or images of what was worn in
        the
        > time period. Ideas on fabrics and patterns that would be used.
        >
        > I started making a Sarafan but I'm not liking the way it is going.
        > I still might be able to turn it into a Letnik if I can find some
        > pattern help. Both of these may be too early.
        >
        > I've made a pattern for a kokoshnik but have been unable to find
        out
        > if gems were also used or if it was just pearls. The design I have
        > made is mostly pearls but with a scattering of stones such as jade,
        > ruby, and amethyst.
        >
        > I also need a good pattern for a povojnik. I've tried a couple of
        > times and nothing I have made looks or feels right when I put it on.
        >
        > Milesha Kulikova
        > commonly known as Meisha

      • L.M. Kies
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2008
          Greetings from Sofya!

          >I have decided to go with an early to mid 16th century female
          >merchant woman, living in Novgorod.

          I focus on appanage period Rus, but I know a little about Kievan and Muscovite period, so maybe I can help.

          >I would like to find some patterns or images of what was worn in the
          >time period. Ideas on fabrics and patterns that would be used.

          Rabinovich has a huge chapter on 13th-17th century clothing that I've translated here in two parts:
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/rabinovich86b.html
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/rabinovich86c.html

          If that's a little overwhelming, I've extracted some fabric info here:
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KRCfabric.html
          While the notes focus on "Early Rus" the fabrics and furs discussed there were still used in the 16th century.

          I don't have a lot of images of late period women on-line. What I have is here:
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/clothingart.html
          I can send a few more as attachments privately.

          >I started making a Sarafan but I'm not liking the way it is going.
          >I still might be able to turn it into a Letnik if I can find some
          >pattern help. Both of these may be too early.

          Both the sarafan and the letnik are perfectly appropriate for a 16th century Novgorod woman. Some of the images I plan to send you have patterns for the sarafan and dushegreya. The letnik is a glorified T-tunic.
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/rubakha.html

          >I've made a pattern for a kokoshnik ... mostly pearls but with a scattering of stones such as jade,
          >ruby, and amethyst.

          A scattering of precious stones among the pearls are appropriate.
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWChead.html

          >I also need a good pattern for a povojnik. I've tried a couple of
          >times and nothing I have made looks or feels right when I put it on.

          I have three different povoinik patterns here:
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/patterns.html

          At your service,

          Sofya
          Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus, OW, OLM, uchenitsa Kramolnikova
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser