Russian costume - 11th century (and more)

  • Kseniia Smolnianina
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2008
      Hello, all -

      I came across this website yesterday (in Russian for now, I'm afraid):
      http://engisdottir.nm.ru/

      The first link is a photo gallery of tablet woven bands and belts.

      The second link is photos and patterns of her own weaving, which can
      be custom ordered from her. Her prices range from 150 - 700 rubles
      per meter; I don't know if she can ship to other countries, or how
      much shipping would cost. She weaves in wool, cotton, linen and silk,
      but has not yet had the opportunity to weave with homespun yarns.
      (I'm not advertising - just giving the gist of the webpage!)

      The third link is a piece-by-piece photo display of the holiday
      costume of a girl from the Radimich tribe at the beginning of the 11th
      century - fabulous work, if you ask me. My only complaint is that the
      photos are too small! I believe she plans to translate the page into
      English as well, though if anyone was interested in helping with that,
      I'm sure she wouldn't turn them down. :) Along with her
      reconstructions she posts photos from the State Historical Museum in
      Moscow wherever possible.

      Elena is on LiveJournal at: http://engisdottir.livejournal.com For
      the most part she posts in Russian and in English both - her English
      is excellent!

      Yours in service,
      Kseniia

      --
      **********************************
      Kseniia Smolnianina, JdL
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2008
        Brilliant! Very impressive.

        Do you know if she has made any Polish women's garb?

        Richard
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2008
          DOH! Thanks for that! Elena's website appreared on another Yahoo discussion group so I postd it ere, unfortunately before I had read ALL my emails....Thanks!

          Best Regards,
          'dok

[...]

          ************ ********* ********* ****
          Kseniia Smolnianina, JdL
          Barony of Three Mountains
          Kingdom of An Tir

        • Kseniia Smolnianina
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2008
            Great minds think alike, I guess!

            I've subsequently learned that while Elena is the name of the girl in
            the pictures, the website was actually compiled by another woman who
            goes by the name Helga Engisdottir. Helga is preparing to post her
            own garb pics soon.

            -- Kseniia

            On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 5:51 AM, Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:
            > DOH! Thanks for that! Elena's website appreared on another Yahoo discussion
            > group so I postd it ere, unfortunately before I had read ALL my
            > emails....Thanks!
            >
            > Best Regards,
            > 'dok
            > "Dreams are only the realities of yesterday waiting to happen"

            **********************************
            Kseniia Smolnianina, JdL
            Barony of Three Mountains
            Kingdom of An Tir
          • Kseniia Smolnianina
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2008
              I don't know, but I doubt it - she seems (from conversations with her,
              and her LJ entries) to focus mainly on Rus. However, I'd encourage
              you to write and ask - she speaks excellent English
              (engisdottir@...). Only please note that I got her name wrong - she
              goes by Helga Engisdottir.

              --Kseniia

              --
              **********************************
              Kseniia Smolnianina, JdL
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 12, 2008
                > Do you know if she has made any Polish women's garb?
                >
                > Richard

                Greetings Richard. My name is Magdalena. My area of interest is Polish
                women's clothing. I'm no expert but I may be able answer some of your
                questions.

                Are you specifically interested in 11th C Polish clothing? If you are
                that is an area I've been developing some theories on. I say theories
                because the closest thing to extant pieces are pieces of fabric
                attached to metal pieces in archeological finds.

                Getting my thoughts and notes on this subject in order is actually on
                my winter project list. Is there something specific you were
                interested in?

                In Service,
                Magdalena