Re: [sig] Query on Russian Folk Tales

  • Karen McInturff
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2008
      Try these:
      "Folk Tales from Russia" by Donald A. Mackenaiz
      "The Firebird and Other Russian Fairy Tales" by Arthur Ransome
      "Russian Folk Tales" by Leonard A Magnus
      "Favorite Fairy Tales Told in Russia" by Virginia Haviland

      Not sure if they have everything Peotr needs and wants, but they are wonderful books...and two of them have tales of Baba Yaga in them.

      YIS
      Pomestnitsa Kashka Mokosheva   Life is a series of roads, where we end up along the way is ours to decide.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
        Once I made a small study of Baba Yaga background (one of the two), based on Russian sources. Mainly on Propp, Rybakov, Afanasiev etc. It's at Red Kaganate web site.

        > "Folk Tales from Russia" by Donald A. Mackenaiz
        > "The Firebird and Other Russian Fairy Tales" by Arthur Ransome
        > "Russian Folk Tales" by Leonard A Magnus
        > "Favorite Fairy Tales Told in Russia" by Virginia Haviland
        >
        > Not sure if they have everything Peotr needs and wants, but they are wonderful books...and two of them have tales of Baba Yaga in them.
        >
        > YIS
        > Pomestnitsa Kashka Mokosheva Life is a series of roads, where we end up along the way is ours to decide.

      • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
          I have the following two books which i like.

          1. Medieval Russia's epics, chronicles and tales
          revised and enlarged edition. edited by Serge A. Zenkovsky

          2. Russian Fairytales collected by Aleksand Afanas'ev

          Lada

          Oooooh...
          SHINY!