Query on Russian Folk Tales

  • Paul W Goldschmidt
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2008
      Peotr asked me to post the following to the list. You can respond
      here and I will forward to him or you can write back to him directly
      at x@....

      "I am looking for more source material. In particular I am looking
      for well written versions of Russian folk tales that may date back to
      the Kievan period. Tales of Baba Yaga and heroes are of particular
      interest. There is also of material out there, the problem is
      quality. Many version are poorly translated, modernized or made
      cute. Any suggestions for good source material will be greatly appreciated."

      Thanks,
      Paul

    • aldo
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2008
        I can suggest following for English readers:

        W:R:S: Ralston - Songs of the Russian People as Illustrative of Slavonic Mythology and Russian Social Life, Reprint by Kessinger

        Linda J. Ivanits - Russian Folk Belief , New York by Sharpe 1989

        and for Russian readers there is notheing better than

        E. Lievkievskaia - Mify Russkogo Naroda, Moskva 2007

        Ciao

        Aldo

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2008
          Try these:
          "Folk Tales from Russia" by Donald A. Mackenaiz
          "The Firebird and Other Russian Fairy Tales" by Arthur Ransome
          "Russian Folk Tales" by Leonard A Magnus
          "Favorite Fairy Tales Told in Russia" by Virginia Haviland

          Not sure if they have everything Peotr needs and wants, but they are wonderful books...and two of them have tales of Baba Yaga in them.

          YIS
          Pomestnitsa Kashka Mokosheva   Life is a series of roads, where we end up along the way is ours to decide.

          Peotr asked me to post the following to the list. You can respond

          here and I will forward to him or you can write back to him directly

          at x@....

          "I am looking for more source material. In particular I am looking

          for well written versions of Russian folk tales that may date back to

          the Kievan period. Tales of Baba Yaga and heroes are of particular

          interest. There is also of material out there, the problem is

          quality. Many version are poorly translated, modernized or made

          cute. Any suggestions for good source material will be greatly appreciated. "

          Thanks,

          Paul

        • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
            Once I made a small study of Baba Yaga background (one of the two), based on Russian sources. Mainly on Propp, Rybakov, Afanasiev etc. It's at Red Kaganate web site.

            > "Folk Tales from Russia" by Donald A. Mackenaiz
            > "The Firebird and Other Russian Fairy Tales" by Arthur Ransome
            > "Russian Folk Tales" by Leonard A Magnus
            > "Favorite Fairy Tales Told in Russia" by Virginia Haviland
            >
            > Not sure if they have everything Peotr needs and wants, but they are wonderful books...and two of them have tales of Baba Yaga in them.
            >
            > YIS
            > Pomestnitsa Kashka Mokosheva Life is a series of roads, where we end up along the way is ours to decide.

          • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
              I have the following two books which i like.

              1. Medieval Russia's epics, chronicles and tales
              revised and enlarged edition. edited by Serge A. Zenkovsky

              2. Russian Fairytales collected by Aleksand Afanas'ev

              Lada

              Oooooh...
              SHINY!