[sig] Translation and Language things

  • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 19, 2008
      I'd like to offer my translation services to anyone in translating Russian to English and vice versa. I translate at my job and I have also done translation with in the SCA for scrolls.

      Also, I thought this might be of interest

      http://cgi.ebay.com/PREHISTORY-of-SLAVIC-by-SHEVELOV-RUSSIA-RARE-1965_W0QQitemZ270266943849QQihZ017QQcategoryZ29223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

      Lada

      Oooooh...
      SHINY!

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 19, 2008
        An ebay thing!
        THL Isabelle de Foix
        Shire Brantestone
        Kingdom of Meridies
         Support your friendly local autistics...........I'm one of them..

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 19, 2008
          Is there anyone who speaks Lettish/Latvian - whichever one would have been
          spoken in Riga around 1897? My great-grandfather had a journal, and about
          20 pages survived, but I cannot read it.

          -- Vitasha

          On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Yevgeniya Pechenaya
          <ladie_lada@...>wrote:

          > I'd like to offer my translation services to anyone in translating Russian
          > to English and vice versa. I translate at my job and I have also done
          > translation with in the SCA for scrolls.
          >
          > Also, I thought this might be of interest
          >

          > http://cgi.ebay.com/PREHISTORY-of-SLAVIC-by-SHEVELOV-RUSSIA-RARE-1965_W0QQitemZ270266943849QQihZ017QQcategoryZ29223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
          >
          > Lada
          >
          > Oooooh...
          > SHINY!
          >
          > --- On Mon, 8/18/08, Leonora Radovcic <Lightpaws@...<Lightpaws%40aol.com>>
          > wrote:
          > From: Leonora Radovcic <Lightpaws@... <Lightpaws%40aol.com>>
          > Subject: [sig] Croatian Tongue
          > To: sig@yahoogroups.com <sig%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Monday, August 18, 2008, 3:20 PM
          >
          > A while back, before I joined this list, I recieved an email from a SIG
          >
          > list memeber regarding help with speaking in Croatian. If that person,
          >
          > or persons, still wishes help in conversing in Croatian they may
          >
          > contact me off-list at Lightpaws@aol. com. I am more than happy to
          >
          > assit anyone who wishes to learn or practice Croatian.
          >
          > Sve najbolje,
          >
          > YIS
          >
          > Branimira

        • Patricia Hefner

            <ladie_lada@yahoo. com>wrote:

            > I'd like to offer my translation services to anyone in translating Russian
            > to English and vice versa. I translate at my job and I have also done
            > translation with in the SCA for scrolls.
            >
            > Also, I thought this might be of interest
            >

            > http://cgi.ebay com/PREHISTORY- of-SLAVIC- by-SHEVELOV- RUSSIA-RARE- 1965_W0QQitemZ27 0266943849QQihZ0 17QQcategoryZ292 23QQssPageNameZW DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem
            >
            > Lada
            >
            > Oooooh...
            > SHINY!
            >
            > --- On Mon, 8/18/08, Leonora Radovcic <Lightpaws@aol. com<Lightpaws%40aol. com>>
            > wrote:
            > From: Leonora Radovcic <Lightpaws@aol.. com <Lightpaws%40aol. com>>
            > Subject: [sig] Croatian Tongue
            > To: sig@yahoogroups. com <sig%40yahoogroups. com>
            > Date: Monday, August 18, 2008, 3:20 PM
            >
            > A while back, before I joined this list, I recieved an email from a SIG
            >
            > list memeber regarding help with speaking in Croatian. If that person,
            >
            > or persons, still wishes help in conversing in Croatian they may
            >
            > contact me off-list at Lightpaws@aol. com. I am more than happy to
            >
            > assit anyone who wishes to learn or practice Croatian.
            >
            > Sve najbolje,
            >
            > YIS
            >
            > Branimira

          • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 19, 2008
              I know I've been able to figure out other slavic languages based on my knowledge of Russian. I know same holds true for other slavic speakers. Maybe if you can post a page from the journal to the list we could figure it out.

              Lada

              Oooooh...
              SHINY!

              <ladie_lada@yahoo. com>wrote:

              > I'd like to offer my translation services to anyone in translating Russian

              > to English and vice versa. I translate at my job and I have also done

              > translation with in the SCA for scrolls.

              > Also, I thought this might be of interest

              > http://cgi.ebay com/PREHISTORY- of-SLAVIC- by-SHEVELOV- RUSSIA-RARE- 1965_W0QQitemZ27 0266943849QQihZ0 17QQcategoryZ292 23QQssPageNameZW DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

              > Lada

              > Oooooh...

              > SHINY!

              > --- On Mon, 8/18/08, Leonora Radovcic <Lightpaws@aol. com<Lightpaws%40aol. com>>

              > wrote:

              > From: Leonora Radovcic <Lightpaws@aol. com <Lightpaws%40aol. com>>

              > Subject: [sig] Croatian Tongue

              > To: sig@yahoogroups. com <sig%40yahoogroups. com>

              > Date: Monday, August 18, 2008, 3:20 PM

              > A while back, before I joined this list, I recieved an email from a SIG

              > list memeber regarding help with speaking in Croatian. If that person,

              > or persons, still wishes help in conversing in Croatian they may

              > contact me off-list at Lightpaws@aol. com. I am more than happy to

              > assit anyone who wishes to learn or practice Croatian.

              > Sve najbolje,

              > YIS

              > Branimira

            • Amy Tubbs
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 19, 2008
                Here you go. Best of luck! I would be so happy if this family mystery was
                solved. :-)

                -- Vitasha

              • Suzanne
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 20, 2008
                  Cough, cough... neither Lithuanian nor Latvian are Slavic languages.
                  (And Yahoo doesn't allow attachments so we don't have your text yet.)

                  Aside from that, I'm sure there's someone out there with language
                  skills who can help you out. :-) Try putting your doc in the Files
                  section of the list and we'll try to identify what language it's in!

                  Susanna

                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Tubbs" <ivanova.doch@...> wrote:

                  > Here you go. Best of luck! I would be so happy if this family
                  mystery was
                  > solved. :-)
                  >
                  > -- Vitasha
                  >
                  > On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Yevgeniya Pechenaya
                  > <ladie_lada@...>wrote:
                  >
                  > > I know I've been able to figure out other slavic languages based
                  on my
                  > > knowledge of Russian. I know same holds true for other slavic
                  speakers.
                  > > Maybe if you can post a page from the journal to the list we could
                  figure it
                  > > out.
                  > >
                  > > Lada
                  > >
                  > > Oooooh...
                  > > SHINY!
                  > >

                  > > --- On Tue, 8/19/08, Amy Tubbs
                  <ivanova.doch@...<ivanova.doch%40gmail.com>>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > From: Amy Tubbs <ivanova.doch@... <ivanova.doch%40gmail.com>>
                  > > Subject: Re: [sig] Translation and Language things
                  > > To: sig@yahoogroups.com <sig%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > > Date: Tuesday, August 19, 2008, 7:49 PM
                  > >
                  > > Is there anyone who speaks Lettish/Latvian - whichever one would
                  have been

                  > > spoken in Riga around 1897? My great-grandfather had a journal,
                  and about

                  > > 20 pages survived, but I cannot read it.
                  > >
                  > > -- Vitasha

                  <message trimmed>
                • Amy Tubbs
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 20, 2008
                    I knew it wasn't written in Cyrillic, but I hadn't looked into the language
                    tree. I know it is not similar to Latin or German, or I might have been
                    able to figure a little out.

                    Sorry about the attachment. It is uploaded in the files now.

                    --Vitasha

                    On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Suzanne <sovagris@...> wrote:

                    > Cough, cough... neither Lithuanian nor Latvian are Slavic languages.
                    > (And Yahoo doesn't allow attachments so we don't have your text yet.)
                    >
                    > Aside from that, I'm sure there's someone out there with language
                    > skills who can help you out. :-) Try putting your doc in the Files
                    > section of the list and we'll try to identify what language it's in!
                    >
                    > Susanna
                    >

                    > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com <sig%40yahoogroups.com>, "Amy Tubbs"
                    > <ivanova.doch@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Here you go. Best of luck! I would be so happy if this family
                    > mystery was
                    > > solved. :-)
                    > >
                    > > -- Vitasha
                    > >
                    > > On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Yevgeniya Pechenaya
                    > > <ladie_lada@...>wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > I know I've been able to figure out other slavic languages based
                    > on my
                    > > > knowledge of Russian. I know same holds true for other slavic
                    > speakers.
                    > > > Maybe if you can post a page from the journal to the list we could
                    > figure it
                    > > > out.
                    > > >
                    > > > Lada
                    > > >
                    > > > Oooooh...
                    > > > SHINY!
                    > > >

                    > > > --- On Tue, 8/19/08, Amy Tubbs
                    > <ivanova.doch@...<ivanova.doch%40gmail.com>>
                    > > > wrote:
                    > > > From: Amy Tubbs <ivanova.doch@... <ivanova.doch%40gmail.com>>
                    > > > Subject: Re: [sig] Translation and Language things
                    > > > To: sig@yahoogroups.com <sig%40yahoogroups.com> <sig%40yahoogroups.com
                    > >
                    > > > Date: Tuesday, August 19, 2008, 7:49 PM
                    > > >
                    > > > Is there anyone who speaks Lettish/Latvian - whichever one would
                    > have been
                    > > >
                    > > > spoken in Riga around 1897? My great-grandfather had a journal,
                    > and about
                    > > >
                    > > > 20 pages survived, but I cannot read it.
                    > > >
                    > > > -- Vitasha
                    > > >

                    > <message trimmed>

                  • hillofbees
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 21, 2008
                      It is indeed in Latvian (one of the two surviving Baltic languages, along with Lithuanian,
                      after Old Prussian was made extinct at the end of the eighteenth century).

                      There are differences in spelling and accented letters compared with modern Latvian but it
                      should still be readable by a fluent speaker, barring accidents of handwriting.