Re: [sig] Big City Russia and SCA Fencing

  • Barbara
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 14, 2008
      It depends entirely on how you view your persona and the SCA in general.
      Some people view their persona as living in Russia (for example) but when at
      events they are visiting this other land. Some actually have two personas;
      one that lives in their country of origin, and one that is strictly SCA.
      Same name, but the SCA is separate from the researched persona. Others,
      like myself, consider that we are from Russia, but have moved into the
      Laurel Kingdoms (in my case, Calontir) where we are exposed to new customs
      and new ideas. We try to preserve the customs of our homeland, while
      adapting to the requirements of this new land.

      I don't know anything about fencing in Russia, but that is one option for
      you to consider.

      Mir!
      Tatjana

      "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

      Wolf and Tiger Woodworking
      http://www.wolfandtiger.com

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 14, 2008
        herizohokrampus wrote:
        > I am very interested in creating a Russian persona for the SCA, but
        > I'm not much on the heavy fighting. I love rapier, but as far as I can
        > divine from the horrid resources I've been able to scrounge up the
        > height of Russian dueling was a century-and-a-half after SCA 'period'.
        > Are any of ye devotees of Slavic history Fencers? How do you explain
        > it? Could anyone point me in the way of better resources for such a
        > venture? I've not been able to find any hard information on Russian
        > fencing older than Sergei Golubitsky, who is a Sport Fencer, and still
        > alive. Any help at all would be very much appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks Awfully.
        > Mark

        I have a Russian persona.

        I fence.

        I don't worry too much about gliding the two together. We have fencing
        vikings, russian, japanese, really, no one will take you to task about
        it. And if they do, send them to me. :-)

        Fence anyway, and if you do find good fencing sources, please share.

        Nataliia
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 14, 2008
          Didn't one place have a fencing fool dressed in harlequin?

          Best Regards,
          'dok

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 14, 2008
            Hi Mark!

            I don't know much about fencing history, but I see no
            reason that you can't have a later period Muscovite
            persona and still fence. Heck, I'm an early period
            Kievan Rus', and I've eyeballed the fencing
            requirements and thought about how a heavy shuba would
            work as protective gear.

            I guess what I'm trying to say is, you don't have to
            "explain" it at all. After all, we're not REALLY in
            our homelands. My homeland is far to the East of
            here, which is why I find living in this "East
            Kingdom" amusing.... You've picked up this fencing
            skill since you arrived, right? ;)

            --Sfandra

            --- herizohokrampus <herizohokrampus@...> wrote:

            > I am very interested in creating a Russian persona
            > for the SCA, but
            > I'm not much on the heavy fighting. I love rapier,
            > but as far as I can
            > divine from the horrid resources I've been able to
            > scrounge up the
            > height of Russian dueling was a century-and-a-half
            > after SCA 'period'.
            > Are any of ye devotees of Slavic history Fencers?
            > How do you explain
            > it? Could anyone point me in the way of better
            > resources for such a
            > venture? I've not been able to find any hard
            > information on Russian
            > fencing older than Sergei Golubitsky, who is a Sport
            > Fencer, and still
            > alive. Any help at all would be very much
            > appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks Awfully.
            > Mark

            Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
            Haus Von Drakenklaue
            Kingdom of the East
            ******************
            Never 'pearl' your butt.
          • Nataliia
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 14, 2008
              Tim Nalley wrote:
              > Didn't one place have a fencing fool dressed in harlequin?

              Yes.

              We have it all.

              Nataliia
            • Robert Lewis
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 14, 2008
                Plus the period styles for "sabres" really do not translate all that well to
                the sport fencing the SCA does using the heavier styles of modern straight
                bladed fencing equipment (that is the blades we use are at the heavy end of
                modern equipment, they are still quite a bit lighter than anything that
                would have been used in Eastern Europe in period).

                Simple solution, don't stress about it, just work up appropriate looking
                safety gear for your persona and have fun.

                Ivan Kosinski
                College of Brymstonne
                Atenveldt

                MKA Rob Lewis
              • Nataliia
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 14, 2008
                  Robert Lewis wrote:
                  > Plus the period styles for "sabres" really do not translate all that well to
                  > the sport fencing the SCA does using the heavier styles of modern straight
                  > bladed fencing equipment (that is the blades we use are at the heavy end of
                  > modern equipment, they are still quite a bit lighter than anything that
                  > would have been used in Eastern Europe in period).

                  Actually, with cut and thrust they do.

                  We have quite a few curved blades showing up and I have a beautiful
                  curved blade made by Popinjay (Maine sword maker) that is a replica of a
                  period polish sword. It might not be quite as heavy, but it is sure
                  getting closer. :-)

                  > Simple solution, don't stress about it, just work up appropriate looking
                  > safety gear for your persona and have fun.

                  But yeah, don't stress about it. :-)

                  Nataliia
                • Elaine Manyoki
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 14, 2008
                    For what it's worth, my ex-husband and I both used to fence in mid-period Hungarian, and no one said a word..
                    Katya

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 14, 2008
                      Don't worry too much about it- if Europeans can fence, so can Rus. You
                      could have always met a trader from Ioan's court. Being the Boyar you
                      are, you could do almost anything (including traveling, with his
                      permission) where you would have been exposed to this fine art. Check
                      into a journey to Novgorod, and it's Hanseatic connections. Heck, you
                      could have even hooked up with a Venetian or Genoan while trading in
                      Tsargrad/ Constantinople, and brought him back as a servant. (There's
                      something inherently romantic about dissolute bladesmen/ women taking
                      on work as a trainer to get away from their last lost love. but I
                      digress.) Have fun with the story. Sergius B

                    • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 15, 2008
                        <<Ivan Kosinski said: Plus the period styles for "sabres" really do not
                        translate all that well to
                        the sport fencing the SCA does>>

                        I meant to say this, but ditto.

                        <<Simple solution, don't stress about it, just work up appropriate looking
                        safety gear for your persona and have fun.>>
                        Again, ditto.
                        --
                        Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                        "To rip the ugly, false, and weak from my soul and hurl it into hell. To

                      • m.allen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 15, 2008
                          Greetings,

                          We have a new young lady to our local group who is Romi by birth heritage and a dancer.
                          She doesn't want to do a gypsy persona because what she saw at Pennsic was not authentic to her. Albeit, she  probably didn't see everything there was to be seen. She is young, 20 years old and wants to be taken seriously and not look like one of the festival kids.  Her mom has some authentic Romi clothing and she wondered if it was in period- I haven't seen any of it.
                          Can anyone out there offer some advice, guidance and/or resources for a Romi persona?

                          Antoinette de la Croix
                          Aethelmearc
                          (Pittsburgh)

                          "Be the change you want to see in the world."
                          -Gandhi

                        • Marilee Humason
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 15, 2008
                            Me! Me! pick me!
                            I have been researching Rom Clothing and culture for almost 20 years now.
                            I would love to hook up with her.
                            Thanks,
                            stasi

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 20, 2008
                              Antoinette,
                              Recently there was a discussion about Romani people on the list, there
                              is some links to depictions of dress prior to 1500.

                              Hope it helps a little,
                              Asfridhr