RE: [SPAM] RE: Re: [sig] Translation help

  • Greg Hacke
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
      If you would like some assistance in translating, I would love to help. It
      would allow me to bone back up on my russian in a manner I would actually
      enjoy ;-)

      You can contact me off list at greghacke at gmail dot com

      _____

      From: Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@yahoo. <mailto:ladie_lada%40yahoo.com>
      com>
      Subject: Re: [sig] Translation help
      To: sig@yahoogroups. <mailto:sig%40yahoogroups.com> com
      Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 7:20 PM

      On the Russian Version of the site under "reconstruction" or
      "àÕÚÞÝáâàãÚæØï" there is pretty much entire book with
      ilustrations to dress, decoration and multiple other things.

      Lada

      Oooooh...
      SHINY!

      --- On Wed, 8/13/08, Sfandra <seonaid13@yahoo.
      From: Sfandra <seonaid13@yahoo. <mailto:seonaid13%40yahoo.com> com>
      To: sig@yahoogroups. <mailto:sig%40yahoogroups.com> com
      Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 2:47 PM

      Pop over to the Russian version of the page, then

      Babelfish it. There's actually MORE on the Russian

      versions of the pages than the English.

      On the Reconstruction page in Russian, this Lithuanian

      book is the last of the 8 books listed. (the first

      one is Drevnaia Rus: Byt I Kultura!) On the English

      version of the page, only 5 books are listed.

      --Sfandra

      --- Patoodle@aol. com wrote:

      > That book cover makes me DROOL!!! Me want book!!!

      > Call me clueless, or perhaps sleepy after my lunch,

      > but I can't find the scanned book on KAUP's Web

      > site. Is there a table of contents or something?

      > Thanks! (Aciu!)

      > In service,

      > Patricia of Trakai

      much...http: //club-kaup. narod.ru/ rec/archussr_ drrus_bk/ archussr_
      drrus_bk_
      table97.jpg

      ************ ******

      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova

      Haus Von Drakenklaue

      Kingdom of the East

    • Joseph Belcher
      Message 2 of 22 , May 16 2:31 PM
        I’m looking for the correct translation to “strong green wine”.

        In my research of Russia I have come across the term “strong green wine”. It is mentioned in the English versions of the bylinas, specifically in Dobrynya and the Dragon. Not being able to read Russian (or Ukranian) I’m not sure of the correct translation.

        I assume the bylinas I find in English (Folk Tales from the Russian and The epic songs of Russia, printed in 1906 and 1913) are translations of earlier printed Cyrillic books. If I can get the original term used in those books I can further my research.

        Thank you to anyone that can help with the translation and/or Slavic language sources.

        -Halbrust

      • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
        Message 3 of 22 , May 16 10:27 PM
          Greetings!

          Зелено вино, the late-period moonshine.
          It is also mentioned in the Sadko (пил зелено вино). The ethimology must be explained in the Pokhlyobkin's History of Vodka. AFAIR the explanations, originally it referred to зелье (poison/potion), not зеленый (green).

          Четверг, 16 мая 2013, 17:31 -04:00 от Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...>:

          >I’m looking for the correct translation to “strong green wine”.
          >
          >In my research of Russia I have come across the term “strong green wine”. It is mentioned in the English versions of the bylinas, specifically in Dobrynya and the Dragon. Not being able to read Russian (or Ukranian) I’m not sure of the correct translation.
          >
          >I assume the bylinas I find in English (Folk Tales from the Russian and The epic songs of Russia, printed in 1906 and 1913) are translations of earlier printed Cyrillic books. If I can get the original term used in those books I can further my research.
          >
          >Thank you to anyone that can help with the translation and/or Slavic language sources.
          >
          >-Halbrust

        • Joseph Belcher
          Message 4 of 22 , May 20 9:27 AM
            Thank you Alexey!
            I will continue my research, but have another question that may help me along.

            According to Isabel Hapgood the lays of Vladimir (including Dobrynya and the Dragon, but not Sadko) were composed in the 10th-12th century and represent a time between 988 and 1147. This is obviously too early to be vodka, or any other distilled drink.

            If the original 12th century term was Зелено вино, what could it have been?
            Or what could the 12th century term be if it was not Зелено вино?

            -Halbrust

            Message 5 of 22 , May 20 12:40 PM
              Greetings!

              Actually, the Kievan cycle bylinas were composed in 9 to 14 centuries, Dobrynia & the Serpent being (one of )the oldest. The "Green Wine" is the obvious late-period (and/or post-period) re-edition of the story. All the same, the oldest known published source of Bylinas is afair Kisha Danilov's Songs, about 1740; so there's no "original text" available.
              The original source could refer to meads, beers jr wines, there was not a great variety of alcoholic drinks in Kievan Russia: wines were imported, meads and beers were home-made.

              Понедельник, 20 мая 2013, 12:27 -04:00 от Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...>:

              >Thank you Alexey!
              >I will continue my research, but have another question that may help me along.
              >
              >According to Isabel Hapgood the lays of Vladimir (including Dobrynya and the Dragon, but not Sadko) were composed in the 10th-12th century and represent a time between 988 and 1147. This is obviously too early to be vodka, or any other distilled drink.
              >
              >If the original 12th century term was Зелено вино, what could it have been?
              >Or what could the 12th century term be if it was not Зелено вино?
              >
              >-Halbrust

            • Joseph Belcher
              Message 6 of 22 , May 23 11:49 AM
                More questions asked off-list

                -Halbrust

                Actually, the Kievan cycle bylinas were composed in 9 to 14 centuries, Dobrynia & the Serpent being (one of )the oldest. The "Green Wine" is the obvious late-period (and/or post-period) re-edition of the story. All the same, the oldest known published source of Bylinas is afair Kisha Danilov's Songs, about 1740; so there's no "original text" available.
                The original source could refer to meads, beers jr wines, there was not a great variety of alcoholic drinks in Kievan Russia: wines were imported, meads and beers were home-made.

                Понедельник, 20 мая 2013, 12:27 -04:00 от Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...>:

                >Thank you Alexey!
                >I will continue my research, but have another question that may help me along.
                >
                >According to Isabel Hapgood the lays of Vladimir (including Dobrynya and the Dragon, but not Sadko) were composed in the 10th-12th century and represent a time between 988 and 1147. This is obviously too early to be vodka, or any other distilled drink.
                >
                >If the original 12th century term was Зелено вино, what could it have been?
                >Or what could the 12th century term be if it was not Зелено вино?
                >
                >-Halbrust

              • Joseph Belcher
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 17, 2013
                  I'm digging and digging for evidence that doma or domu is the correct pre-1600 term for a Russian household or family.

                  I have several passages from a 1617 book using the term дома. Is anyone willing to look over some scans and see if any of the uses apply in the way I want/need them to?

                  I've attempted using Google translate, but I'm having little to no luck. The images are scanned, and so I can not cut and paste text. Trying to type in the correct letters is not working very well.

                  -Halbrust

                • Anya Stickney
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 18, 2013
                    I'm willing to help. If you are on facebook, you cat post them to the
                    facebook SIG page. That way, multiple people can see them and help. Always
                    good to have multiple people's opinions with this sort of thing. Or perhaps
                    you can post them to the file section of this group?

                    Anya