Re: [sig] Translation help

  • Patoodle@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 13 11:42 AM
      That book cover makes me DROOL!!! Me want book!!!

      Call me clueless, or perhaps sleepy after my lunch, but I can't find the scanned book on KAUP's Web site. Is there a table of contents or something?

      Thanks! (Aciu!)

      In service,
      Patricia of Trakai

      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 13 11:47 AM
        Pop over to the Russian version of the page, then
        Babelfish it. There's actually MORE on the Russian
        versions of the pages than the English.

        On the Reconstruction page in Russian, this Lithuanian
        book is the last of the 8 books listed. (the first
        one is Drevnaia Rus: Byt I Kultura!) On the English
        version of the page, only 5 books are listed.

        --Sfandra

        Never 'pearl' your butt.
      • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 13 4:20 PM
          On the Russian Version of the site under "reconstruction" or "�������������" there is pretty much entire book with ilustrations to dress, decoration and multiple other things.

          Lada

          Oooooh...
          SHINY!

          ************ ******

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 13 4:46 PM
            Just to follow up. The book si available in the New York Public Library and it is part of a 20 volume archeological work.

            http://catnyp.nypl.org/search?/tArkheologi%7B235%7Di%7B236%7Da+%28Izdanie+v+20+tomakh%29/tarkheologiia+izdanie+v+++20+tomakh/-3%2C-1%2C0%2CB/frameset&FF=tarkheologiia+izdanie+v+++20+tomakh&1%2C%2C4

            I'm going to look into getting my hands on a copy of this book. Since it's 367pgs long... i dont' thin xeroxing it is an option well atleats i'm not willing to make that investment. I know we can just print it off the internet. The ilustrations in it are quite awersome.

            Lada

            Oooooh...
            SHINY!

            ************ ******

            Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova

            Haus Von Drakenklaue

            Kingdom of the East

            ************ ******

            Never 'pearl' your butt.

          • L.M. Kies
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 13 5:01 PM
              For those who are Russian-impaired, Chapter 4 (on clothing) is translated into English on my website.
              http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/kolchin.html

              I hadn't managed to get copies of the other chapters to translate before. Thanks for finding KAUP! They're missing a few chapters right now, but what they've got is more than enough to expand my list of translation projects most distressingly. :-)

              Sofya

              ************ ******

              Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova

              Haus Von Drakenklaue

              Kingdom of the East

              ************ ******

              Never 'pearl' your butt.

            • Greg Hacke
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 13 6:52 PM
                If you would like some assistance in translating, I would love to help. It
                would allow me to bone back up on my russian in a manner I would actually
                enjoy ;-)

                You can contact me off list at greghacke at gmail dot com

                _____

                http://www.strangel <http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/kolchin.html>

                --- On Wed, 8/13/08, Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@yahoo.
                From: Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@yahoo. <mailto:ladie_lada%40yahoo.com>
                com>
                To: sig@yahoogroups. <mailto:sig%40yahoogroups.com> com
                Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 7:20 PM

                --- On Wed, 8/13/08, Sfandra <seonaid13@yahoo.
                From: Sfandra <seonaid13@yahoo. <mailto:seonaid13%40yahoo.com> com>
                To: sig@yahoogroups. <mailto:sig%40yahoogroups.com> com
                Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 2:47 PM

                ************ ******

                Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova

                Haus Von Drakenklaue

                Kingdom of the East

              • Joseph Belcher
                Message 7 of 22 , May 16, 2013
                  I’m looking for the correct translation to “strong green wine”.

                  In my research of Russia I have come across the term “strong green wine”. It is mentioned in the English versions of the bylinas, specifically in Dobrynya and the Dragon. Not being able to read Russian (or Ukranian) I’m not sure of the correct translation.

                  I assume the bylinas I find in English (Folk Tales from the Russian and The epic songs of Russia, printed in 1906 and 1913) are translations of earlier printed Cyrillic books. If I can get the original term used in those books I can further my research.

                  Thank you to anyone that can help with the translation and/or Slavic language sources.

                  -Halbrust

                • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 16, 2013
                    Greetings!

                    Зелено вино, the late-period moonshine.
                    It is also mentioned in the Sadko (пил зелено вино). The ethimology must be explained in the Pokhlyobkin's History of Vodka. AFAIR the explanations, originally it referred to зелье (poison/potion), not зеленый (green).

                    Четверг, 16 мая 2013, 17:31 -04:00 от Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...>:

                    >I’m looking for the correct translation to “strong green wine”.
                    >
                    >In my research of Russia I have come across the term “strong green wine”. It is mentioned in the English versions of the bylinas, specifically in Dobrynya and the Dragon. Not being able to read Russian (or Ukranian) I’m not sure of the correct translation.
                    >
                    >I assume the bylinas I find in English (Folk Tales from the Russian and The epic songs of Russia, printed in 1906 and 1913) are translations of earlier printed Cyrillic books. If I can get the original term used in those books I can further my research.
                    >
                    >Thank you to anyone that can help with the translation and/or Slavic language sources.
                    >
                    >-Halbrust

                  • Joseph Belcher
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 20, 2013
                      Thank you Alexey!
                      I will continue my research, but have another question that may help me along.

                      According to Isabel Hapgood the lays of Vladimir (including Dobrynya and the Dragon, but not Sadko) were composed in the 10th-12th century and represent a time between 988 and 1147. This is obviously too early to be vodka, or any other distilled drink.

                      If the original 12th century term was Зелено вино, what could it have been?
                      Or what could the 12th century term be if it was not Зелено вино?

                      -Halbrust

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 20, 2013
                        Greetings!

                        Actually, the Kievan cycle bylinas were composed in 9 to 14 centuries, Dobrynia & the Serpent being (one of )the oldest. The "Green Wine" is the obvious late-period (and/or post-period) re-edition of the story. All the same, the oldest known published source of Bylinas is afair Kisha Danilov's Songs, about 1740; so there's no "original text" available.
                        The original source could refer to meads, beers jr wines, there was not a great variety of alcoholic drinks in Kievan Russia: wines were imported, meads and beers were home-made.

                        Понедельник, 20 мая 2013, 12:27 -04:00 от Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...>:

                        >Thank you Alexey!
                        >I will continue my research, but have another question that may help me along.
                        >
                        >According to Isabel Hapgood the lays of Vladimir (including Dobrynya and the Dragon, but not Sadko) were composed in the 10th-12th century and represent a time between 988 and 1147. This is obviously too early to be vodka, or any other distilled drink.
                        >
                        >If the original 12th century term was Зелено вино, what could it have been?
                        >Or what could the 12th century term be if it was not Зелено вино?
                        >
                        >-Halbrust

                      • Joseph Belcher
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 23, 2013
                          More questions asked off-list

                          -Halbrust

                          Actually, the Kievan cycle bylinas were composed in 9 to 14 centuries, Dobrynia & the Serpent being (one of )the oldest. The "Green Wine" is the obvious late-period (and/or post-period) re-edition of the story. All the same, the oldest known published source of Bylinas is afair Kisha Danilov's Songs, about 1740; so there's no "original text" available.
                          The original source could refer to meads, beers jr wines, there was not a great variety of alcoholic drinks in Kievan Russia: wines were imported, meads and beers were home-made.

                          Понедельник, 20 мая 2013, 12:27 -04:00 от Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...>:

                          >Thank you Alexey!
                          >I will continue my research, but have another question that may help me along.
                          >
                          >According to Isabel Hapgood the lays of Vladimir (including Dobrynya and the Dragon, but not Sadko) were composed in the 10th-12th century and represent a time between 988 and 1147. This is obviously too early to be vodka, or any other distilled drink.
                          >
                          >If the original 12th century term was Зелено вино, what could it have been?
                          >Or what could the 12th century term be if it was not Зелено вино?
                          >
                          >-Halbrust

                        • Joseph Belcher
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 17, 2013
                            I'm digging and digging for evidence that doma or domu is the correct pre-1600 term for a Russian household or family.

                            I have several passages from a 1617 book using the term дома. Is anyone willing to look over some scans and see if any of the uses apply in the way I want/need them to?

                            I've attempted using Google translate, but I'm having little to no luck. The images are scanned, and so I can not cut and paste text. Trying to type in the correct letters is not working very well.

                            -Halbrust

                          • Anya Stickney
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 18, 2013
                              I'm willing to help. If you are on facebook, you cat post them to the
                              facebook SIG page. That way, multiple people can see them and help. Always
                              good to have multiple people's opinions with this sort of thing. Or perhaps
                              you can post them to the file section of this group?

                              Anya