Re: [sig] Pennsic Meeting + ? on Slavic U.

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 12, 2008
      Are we aiming for Annually or BiAnnually? I ask
      because frankly, I'm not as Plugged In to the
      event-planning crowd as I should be here in the East.
      I don't know about getting one going here quickly
      enough for this year.

      In addition, I deliberately piqued the interest of a
      fellow in Aethelmearc this war. He's hosting a little
      Slavic gettogether in his home shire this year,
      because he's got a lot of Slavic-interested folks, and
      when I mentioned the Slavic U, he seemed to think that
      was something his shire would get behind. But
      probably not THIS year... maybe next year.

      [Also, thanks to everyone at SIG meeting for getting
      my lord TOTALLY SUCKED IN. :D For those that might
      have met Aleksei, he's just converted to Rus, and now
      has become obsessed with Accurate Footwear... :D ]

      --Sfandra

      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      Haus Von Drakenklaue
      Kingdom of the East
      ******************
      Never 'pearl' your butt.
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 12, 2008
        Yep, she even offered Las Vegas as a possible site after the first one in Michigan! Maybe annual AND bi-coastal would serve the needs better? Do we as a group have that level of membership and interest? I hope so!!!

        Best Regards,
        'dok

        Sue of the Silver Horn thinks it should migrate around the Knowne World?Yeah, it would have a much better chance of serving the Inter-Kingdom Slavic population.
        THL Isabelle de Foix
        Shire Brantestone
        Kingdom of Meridies
         Support your friendly local autistics... ........I' m one of them.

[...]

      • Paul W Goldschmidt
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 12, 2008
          I'm less concerned with frequency than I am in just seeing it happen
          again. For now, I'd say that as often as people want to hold it is
          fine, because I don't serious expect that to be the issue.

          Ideally, having it out West next would be a good thing, but I'd most
          all just like to see it happen.

          Let's see a bid (or better still, bids) and we can go with it from there.

          -- Paul

          At 11:14 AM 8/12/2008, you wrote:

          >Yep, she even offered Las Vegas as a possible site after the first
          >one in Michigan! Maybe annual AND bi-coastal would serve the needs
          >better? Do we as a group have that level of membership and interest?
          >I hope so!!!
          >
          >Best Regards,
          >'dok
          >"Dreams are only the realities of yesterday waiting to happen"
        • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 12, 2008
            Vegas would be awesome! Very easy flight for us or even not a bad drive.

            Ianuk

          • Brathann
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 12, 2008
              While most of you were at Pennsic, I posted this to the list. I know it is
              not Slavic U but it is a chance to let others learn and accrue interest in
              it.

              I am autocratting the Feast of Knowledge for the Shire of Windale. This
              event will be held in the cool pine trees of the Hualapai Mountains, near
              Kingman, Arizona, on Saturday October 18th,
              2008. (This is 107 miles south of Las Vegas)

              I would like to have a track on All things Slavic.

              The Shire of Windale will waive the admission fees for the instructors. If
              you are interested, please send me your
              class topic, length of class, cost of class, and any limitations such as
              size and age limits. Also if you have a specific
              time of day you would like.

              Brathann Rule

              Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
              (Remember the people whom you come from.)

              Yep, she even offered Las Vegas as a possible site after the first one in
              Michigan! Maybe annual AND bi-coastal would serve the needs better? Do we as
              a group have that level of membership and interest? I hope so!!!

              Best Regards,
              'dok

              .

              <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=226804/grpspId=1705126283/msgId=
              13606/stime=1218557687/nc1=5008816/nc2=3848627/nc3=5028928>

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 12, 2008
                I could definitely do Vegas. I've never been before.
                :D

                --Sfandra

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 12, 2008
                  Can you tell us about lodging options in the area? If I flew out, I
                  obviously would not be able to camp. Would Las Vegas be our best
                  airport option?

                  -- Paul

                  At 11:29 AM 8/12/2008, you wrote:

                  >While most of you were at Pennsic, I posted this to the list. I know it is
                  >not Slavic U but it is a chance to let others learn and accrue interest in
                  >it.

                  >I am autocratting the Feast of Knowledge for the Shire of Windale. This
                  >event will be held in the cool pine trees of the Hualapai Mountains, near
                  >Kingman, Arizona, on Saturday October 18th,
                  >2008. (This is 107 miles south of Las Vegas)
                  >
                  >I would like to have a track on All things Slavic.
                  >
                  >The Shire of Windale will waive the admission fees for the instructors. If
                  >you are interested, please send me your
                  >class topic, length of class, cost of class, and any limitations such as
                  >size and age limits. Also if you have a specific
                  >time of day you would like.
                  >
                  >Brathann Rule

                  >Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
                  >(Remember the people whom you come from.)

                • charles stefanich
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 12, 2008
                    Financially I can't travel far so somewhere in the Midrealm works best for me. That being said, I agree it should move around the Known World so those of us hindered by time or travel restrictions have a chance to attend a Slavic U in our area. I'd prefer annually as it would return to the Midrealm twice as fast as bi-annually, but the main focus is that we continue to hold them. The one we held here in West Michigan garnered a number of new Slavic personnas. I would ask that class notes be made available at least on line. And I am very pleased to see other Slavic events being planned. My canton,Dun Traigh, is holding a Fall Harvest event in Oct. and the feast will be Slavic. I think it is time to start getting bids to hold Slavic U II.

                    Valkai Istvan

                  • llightfoot1@verizon.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 12, 2008
                      I wouldn't necessarily assume that you can't camp. Las Vegas is known in Caid as being particularly friendly for loaner tents, etc. It would be worth inquiring, at any rate.

                      Cecilia

                      From: Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...>
                      Date: 2008/08/12 Tue AM 11:37:30 CDT
                      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
                      Subject: [sig] Feast of Knowledge

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 12, 2008
                        Camping is a viable option at the site for $12.00 a night. Our Shire has
                        plenty of tents to spare as well. There is also a lodge up at the Hualapai
                        Mountain, as well as cabins. I am sending the announcement for the Feast of
                        Knowledge to the list following this email.

                        Las Vegas would be the closest airport to fly into, and rides can definitely
                        be arranged to site. There is also Flagstaff, and I am quite sure members of
                        the Barony of Ered Sul will be attending, so we could arrange rides from
                        there as well.

                        Kingman itself has plenty of hotels. I can send you a list of those if
                        necessary.

                        Brathann

                        From: Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...>
                        Date: 2008/08/12 Tue AM 11:37:30 CDT
                        To: sig@yahoogroups.com

                        Can you tell us about lodging options in the area? If I flew out, I
                        obviously would not be able to camp. Would Las Vegas be our best
                        airport option?

                        -- Paul
                      • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 13, 2008
                          I am in favor of holding it annually. What I'd like to see is planning for a
                          Slav U next year, and another for the year following. This way, you've got a
                          year to plan to attend the next Slav U.
                          I am willing to host whatever Slavic class notes, videos, web pages, etc on
                          the PL Commonwealth site.

                          I don't have a preference where the next one is held, as long AS it is held.
                          --
                          Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                          "To rip the ugly, false, and weak from my soul and hurl it into hell. To

                        • Amy Tubbs
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 13, 2008
                            I don't travel well, so anything in central/southern California would get my
                            vote - and assistance.

                            -- Vitasha