Re: [sig] Question on Russian Translation

  • aldo
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2008
      Beautiful in the sense of a well formed body and well made face in
      accordance with the prevalent standard of beauty in Russian is

      for the masculine Nominative KRASIVYI in Cyrillic for the feminine KRASIVAIA
      and for the neutrum is KRASIVOE. As far as the pronuciation is concerned
      this i a problem for an English-speaker. The R is like Scottish while the S
      is NON-EMPHATIC as in English. The Tonic Accent (i.e. where your voice shall
      stay for some fractions of seconds) is on the I which is more similar to YEE
      than to EE. The Y is a special Russian vowel which stands between OO and EE
      and is difficult to represent by writing. Do not forget that Russian is
      spoken in the backside of the mouth which gives the impression of somebody
      speaking holding a small apple in the mouth.

      Ciao

      Aldo

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2008
        Or to put it another way:

        Masculine = krah-SEE-vee (where the "ee" in the last syllable sounds funny, but it's an unstressed syllable so don't worry about it)
        Feminine = krah-SEE-vah-yah

        You just need to learn the Russian alphabet and get a good Russian-English dictionary. I recommend Katzner.

        Sofya

        --
        Robert Jimmerson

      • S. P. Maiorca
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2008
          On Tuesday 05 August 2008 08:15:28 am Robert Jimmerson wrote:
          > I wanted ask ask if anyone could help me confirm the translation of
          > beautiful in Russian. I believe it is ������� and how do I find the
          > proper pronunciation? Any good sources to check?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Kazimir

          Kras see vaya
          kras see vy