New "Nevsky" film

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2008
      I don't know if you've seen this or heard about this, yet, but...

      There's a movie that came out in May called "Aleksandr: Nevskaya
      Bitva" (Alexander: The Battle of the Neva). In a way, it could be
      considered a "prequel" to Eisenstein's "Aleksandr Nevsky."

      It's a hella fun movie. I've now seen it about five times, and I
      *really* wish my Russian were up to really understanding it. There's
      quite a bit that's still a mystery to me. (What's the deal with the
      bear? And the arrowhead in the meat? What's the deal about the guy who
      killed the bear -- why does he go over to the Swedes? Sigh...)

      There's a bit of an Arthurian sub-plot running through the movie, as
      Ratmil, Aleksandr's best buddy and Lancelot analogue, happens to
      unfortunately fall in love with Arthur-- er, Aleksandr's -- fiancee,
      and when there is an attempt to poison the knyaz at his wedding, eyes
      fall on Ratmil, who gets arrested and ousted. He comes back at the
      end, though, to save Aleksandr from the real traitor (the mail-clad
      guy) and gets to die heroically, as he forgives his prince for
      doubting him.

      Here are some links to a few clips from it online:

      In the opening ambush, Aleksandr and some buddies save a traveling
      knight from an ambush by bandits. (Historical irony point: the knight
      Sasha saves introduces himself as Andreas von Velven, and according to
      the roll-up at the end, Aleksandr will meet him again at Lake Peipus,
      when Andreas is the grand master of the Livonian Knights. The actual
      GM wasn't von Velven, though -- I don't know why they did this.)

      Here's the ambush: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE1Cn_CW0ys

      Here is the climactic battle against the Swedes on the Neva:
      Part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InDfC2Wsp1k
      Part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVfaK0DsRfA

      I'm really sorry that somehow the sound seems to have gotten out of
      synch in the translation to YouTubery. It's a bit offputting seeing
      someone hit with an axe and a second or so later hear a soft, wet
      "THUK", but... eh.

      (BTW, how about that pole-vaulting gag in the first half of the Neva
      battle?)

      Shoot me an e-mail if you'd... um.... like to see it. :)

      Effingham