all things Croatian [

  • Rick Orli
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2008
      has a nice collection of pictures. Maybe you can add female
      costumes/characters? I hope to see more Croatian interest. I was in
      Croatia also in the 70s, and it was just great. Croatian language
      was also cool. To my Polish-American ears, it sounded a bit like
      Slovakian with an Italian accent. Here in northern Virgina, A
      Croatian lady who recently came to the US is teaching my kids how to
      ride horseback, and I am looking for an opportunity to find out if
      she has any interest in history and culture... maybe I can turn her.
      -Rick

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Suzanne" <sovagris@...> wrote:

      > Have you seen the Before You Know It website? (byki.com) You can
      > download a teach-yourself program for Croatian. In fact, if you
      > google Croatian language you'll probably get half-a-dozen Croatian
      > sites devoted to teaching foreigners to speak the language.
      >
      > I'm not a native speaker, and my accent is decidedly Serbian, but
      I'd
      > be happy to correspond with you off-list if there's anything you're
      > curious about. (I was a high school exchange student in Belgrade in
      > <gulp> 1972-73!)
      >
      > And I would love to hear about your trip! How did you decide on a
      > Croatian persona in the first place? My alternate persona is a
      > resident of Rab, an island off the north coast of Croatia, circa
      1500.
      > She's a lot more fun than my original persona ;-) but I haven't
      done
      > enough research yet so she's unnamed and needs more gear. (Don't we
      > always need more gear??)
      >
      > Susanna de l'Essart
      >
      > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lydia Leovic <lidia_de_ragusa@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dobar dan!
      > > Is there a SIG gathering at Pennsic? I have just determined that
      > can go to War this year.
      > > I was just in Hrvatska (Croatia) and Ragusa (Dubrovnik) in
      May/June,
      > and I would love to share that with anyone interested.
      > > Also, I would love to be put in touch with anyone who has even a
      > little knowledge of Hrvatski, as I am trying to learn the language,
      > now that I have a clue about pronouncation.
      > > Hvala!
      > > Gospa Lidia iz Ragusa
      > > "Respect is what we owe; love, what we give."
      > > --Philip James Bailey
      > >

      > > "A good deed is never lost: he who sows courtesy reaps
      friendship; and
      > > he who plants kindness gathers love." --Basil
      > >

      > > Per bend sinister azure and argent, a sun in splendor Or and a fox
      > passant azure.
      > >

      > > What's my latest fiber project?
      > > http://lidia-ragusa.diaryland.com/

    • Suzanne
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
        Oy, just what I need - *another* Yahoogroup! But the link to the Fort
        project was pretty cool.... Maybe you could just channel the medieval
        stuff our way??

        Where were you in Croatia? I found that, when visiting the north
        Dalmatian coast, everyone was bilingual in Croatian and Italian and at
        first I couldn't always tell when they switched. :-) It actually
        inspired me to learn Italian... which I'm still not fluent in but I
        recognize some vocabulary even after 30-some-odd years. [I'm
        inarticulate in *at least* 6 languages!]

        Susanna

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Orli" <orlirva@...> wrote:

        > has a nice collection of pictures. Maybe you can add female
        > costumes/characters? I hope to see more Croatian interest. I was in
        > Croatia also in the 70s, and it was just great. Croatian language
        > was also cool. To my Polish-American ears, it sounded a bit like
        > Slovakian with an Italian accent. Here in northern Virgina, A
        > Croatian lady who recently came to the US is teaching my kids how to
        > ride horseback, and I am looking for an opportunity to find out if
        > she has any interest in history and culture... maybe I can turn her.
        > -Rick
        >
        > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Suzanne" <sovagris@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Have you seen the Before You Know It website? (byki.com) You can
        > > download a teach-yourself program for Croatian. In fact, if you
        > > google Croatian language you'll probably get half-a-dozen Croatian
        > > sites devoted to teaching foreigners to speak the language.

        <original message trimmed>