all things Croatian [was Re: Digest Number 2643]

  • Suzanne
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31 7:44 PM
      Have you seen the Before You Know It website? (byki.com) You can
      download a teach-yourself program for Croatian. In fact, if you
      google Croatian language you'll probably get half-a-dozen Croatian
      sites devoted to teaching foreigners to speak the language.

      I'm not a native speaker, and my accent is decidedly Serbian, but I'd
      be happy to correspond with you off-list if there's anything you're
      curious about. (I was a high school exchange student in Belgrade in
      <gulp> 1972-73!)

      And I would love to hear about your trip! How did you decide on a
      Croatian persona in the first place? My alternate persona is a
      resident of Rab, an island off the north coast of Croatia, circa 1500.
      She's a lot more fun than my original persona ;-) but I haven't done
      enough research yet so she's unnamed and needs more gear. (Don't we
      always need more gear??)

      Susanna de l'Essart

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lydia Leovic <lidia_de_ragusa@...> wrote:

      > Dobar dan!
      > Is there a SIG gathering at Pennsic? I have just determined that I
      can go to War this year.
      > I was just in Hrvatska (Croatia) and Ragusa (Dubrovnik) in May/June,
      and I would love to share that with anyone interested.
      > Also, I would love to be put in touch with anyone who has even a
      little knowledge of Hrvatski, as I am trying to learn the language,
      now that I have a clue about pronouncation.
      > Hvala!
      > Gospa Lidia iz Ragusa
      > "Respect is what we owe; love, what we give."
      > --Philip James Bailey
      >

      > "A good deed is never lost: he who sows courtesy reaps friendship; and
      > he who plants kindness gathers love." --Basil
      >

      > Per bend sinister azure and argent, a sun in splendor Or and a fox
      passant azure.

      > What's my latest fiber project?
      > http://lidia-ragusa.diaryland.com/

    • Rick Orli
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2008
        has a nice collection of pictures. Maybe you can add female
        costumes/characters? I hope to see more Croatian interest. I was in
        Croatia also in the 70s, and it was just great. Croatian language
        was also cool. To my Polish-American ears, it sounded a bit like
        Slovakian with an Italian accent. Here in northern Virgina, A
        Croatian lady who recently came to the US is teaching my kids how to
        ride horseback, and I am looking for an opportunity to find out if
        she has any interest in history and culture... maybe I can turn her.
        -Rick

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
          Oy, just what I need - *another* Yahoogroup! But the link to the Fort
          project was pretty cool.... Maybe you could just channel the medieval
          stuff our way??

          Where were you in Croatia? I found that, when visiting the north
          Dalmatian coast, everyone was bilingual in Croatian and Italian and at
          first I couldn't always tell when they switched. :-) It actually
          inspired me to learn Italian... which I'm still not fluent in but I
          recognize some vocabulary even after 30-some-odd years. [I'm
          inarticulate in *at least* 6 languages!]

          Susanna

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Orli" <orlirva@...> wrote:

          > has a nice collection of pictures. Maybe you can add female
          > costumes/characters? I hope to see more Croatian interest. I was in
          > Croatia also in the 70s, and it was just great. Croatian language
          > was also cool. To my Polish-American ears, it sounded a bit like
          > Slovakian with an Italian accent. Here in northern Virgina, A
          > Croatian lady who recently came to the US is teaching my kids how to
          > ride horseback, and I am looking for an opportunity to find out if
          > she has any interest in history and culture... maybe I can turn her.
          > -Rick
          >
          > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Suzanne" <sovagris@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Have you seen the Before You Know It website? (byki.com) You can
          > > download a teach-yourself program for Croatian. In fact, if you
          > > google Croatian language you'll probably get half-a-dozen Croatian
          > > sites devoted to teaching foreigners to speak the language.

          <original message trimmed>