Re: [sig] Digest Number 2643

  • Lydia Leovic
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30 4:20 AM
      Dobar dan!
      Is there a SIG gathering at Pennsic?  I have just determined that I can go to War this year.
      I was just in Hrvatska (Croatia) and Ragusa (Dubrovnik) in May/June, and I would love to share that with anyone interested.
      Also, I would love to be put in touch with anyone who has even a little knowledge of Hrvatski, as I am trying to learn the language, now that I have a clue about pronouncation.
      Hvala!
      Gospa Lidia iz Ragusa
       "Respect is what we owe; love, what we give."
      --Philip James Bailey

      "A good deed is never lost: he who sows courtesy reaps friendship; and
      he who plants kindness gathers love." --Basil

      Per bend sinister azure and argent, a sun in splendor Or and a fox passant azure.

      What's my latest fiber project?
      http://lidia-ragusa.diaryland.com/

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30 4:23 AM
        You could address urself to the following e.mail

        gino gracin

        You will find on the other side an entire family of Croatians living here nearby. Snezhana Gracin is the lady u could talk with in English and Hrvatski.

        Ciao

        Aldo

        Interesting Music CD From: Paul W Goldschmidt
        1b.
        Re: Interesting Music CD From: L.M. Kies View All Topics | Create New Topic
        Messages
        1a.
        Interesting Music CD
        Posted by: "Paul W Goldschmidt" goldschp@... goldschp
        Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:02 am (PDT)
        Something worth looking at:

        SRETENYE: Medieval church choir music of Byzantine, Georgia and Rus
        http://cdbaby. com/cd/chamberch oir3
        This CD is the winner of 2004 JPF Music Awards (USA)in church choir
        music. Medieval praise and worship songs of the VIII-XV centuries.

        -- Paul

        Messages in this topic (2)
        1b.
        Re: Interesting Music CD
        Posted by: "L.M. Kies" lkies@... sofyalarus
        Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:01 pm (PDT)
        I have this CD. It's very nice.

        Sofya

      • Paul W Goldschmidt
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30 5:42 AM
          Yes, please check Slovo for details:

          http://slavic.freeservers.org

          -- Paul

          At 06:20 AM 7/30/2008, you wrote:
          >Dobar dan!
          >Is there a SIG gathering at Pennsic? I have just determined that I
          >can go to War this year.
        • Suzanne
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31 7:44 PM
            Have you seen the Before You Know It website? (byki.com) You can
            download a teach-yourself program for Croatian. In fact, if you
            google Croatian language you'll probably get half-a-dozen Croatian
            sites devoted to teaching foreigners to speak the language.

            I'm not a native speaker, and my accent is decidedly Serbian, but I'd
            be happy to correspond with you off-list if there's anything you're
            curious about. (I was a high school exchange student in Belgrade in
            <gulp> 1972-73!)

            And I would love to hear about your trip! How did you decide on a
            Croatian persona in the first place? My alternate persona is a
            resident of Rab, an island off the north coast of Croatia, circa 1500.
            She's a lot more fun than my original persona ;-) but I haven't done
            enough research yet so she's unnamed and needs more gear. (Don't we
            always need more gear??)

            Susanna de l'Essart

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lydia Leovic <lidia_de_ragusa@...> wrote:

            > Dobar dan!
            > Is there a SIG gathering at Pennsic? I have just determined that I
            can go to War this year.
            > I was just in Hrvatska (Croatia) and Ragusa (Dubrovnik) in May/June,
            and I would love to share that with anyone interested.
            > Also, I would love to be put in touch with anyone who has even a
            little knowledge of Hrvatski, as I am trying to learn the language,
            now that I have a clue about pronouncation.
            > Hvala!
            > Gospa Lidia iz Ragusa
            > "Respect is what we owe; love, what we give."
            > --Philip James Bailey
            >

            > "A good deed is never lost: he who sows courtesy reaps friendship; and
            > he who plants kindness gathers love." --Basil
            >

            > Per bend sinister azure and argent, a sun in splendor Or and a fox
            passant azure.

            > What's my latest fiber project?
            > http://lidia-ragusa.diaryland.com/

          • Rick Orli
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2008
              has a nice collection of pictures. Maybe you can add female
              costumes/characters? I hope to see more Croatian interest. I was in
              Croatia also in the 70s, and it was just great. Croatian language
              was also cool. To my Polish-American ears, it sounded a bit like
              Slovakian with an Italian accent. Here in northern Virgina, A
              Croatian lady who recently came to the US is teaching my kids how to
              ride horseback, and I am looking for an opportunity to find out if
              she has any interest in history and culture... maybe I can turn her.
              -Rick

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
                Oy, just what I need - *another* Yahoogroup! But the link to the Fort
                project was pretty cool.... Maybe you could just channel the medieval
                stuff our way??

                Where were you in Croatia? I found that, when visiting the north
                Dalmatian coast, everyone was bilingual in Croatian and Italian and at
                first I couldn't always tell when they switched. :-) It actually
                inspired me to learn Italian... which I'm still not fluent in but I
                recognize some vocabulary even after 30-some-odd years. [I'm
                inarticulate in *at least* 6 languages!]

                Susanna

                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Orli" <orlirva@...> wrote:

                > has a nice collection of pictures. Maybe you can add female
                > costumes/characters? I hope to see more Croatian interest. I was in
                > Croatia also in the 70s, and it was just great. Croatian language
                > was also cool. To my Polish-American ears, it sounded a bit like
                > Slovakian with an Italian accent. Here in northern Virgina, A
                > Croatian lady who recently came to the US is teaching my kids how to
                > ride horseback, and I am looking for an opportunity to find out if
                > she has any interest in history and culture... maybe I can turn her.
                > -Rick
                >
                > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Suzanne" <sovagris@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Have you seen the Before You Know It website? (byki.com) You can
                > > download a teach-yourself program for Croatian. In fact, if you
                > > google Croatian language you'll probably get half-a-dozen Croatian
                > > sites devoted to teaching foreigners to speak the language.

                <original message trimmed>