Re: [sig] Ozwiena and Zlota Baba

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2008
      Greetings!

      Zolotaya Baba
      Золотая баба
      the only real info is the statement in 16-18 century chronicles that some Siberian tribes -поклоняются Золотой бабе-.
      something very sacred, most likely a statue, somewhere in Siberia. Nobody saw, nobody has ever known where exactly it was|is. Some suggest it's a Greeek|Roman statue stolen by some Huns/Goths/etc from the Roman Empire and brought to eastern woods. Some see it as a Chinese artifact. Some see it as a purely native idol.
      All the same it has ever been a legend, an El Dorado never reached by any conquistador.

      A very vague reference exists in the work by Snisarenko (historian of teh Leningrad Shipbuilding Institute, nice books on history of shipbuilding/naval warfare/pirates - and a book on European paganism, Third Belt of Wisdom, Leningrad, about 1988), mentioning pre-Christian pilgrimages from afair Poland to see the Golden Baba.

      That's all I ever knew on the topic.

      Hope that helps.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2008
        Thank yolou, Alexey.  That is more information than I've been able to find.  Regina