Ozwiena and Zlota Baba

  • garnetcat@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2008
      Does anyone have any information on Ozwiena and Zlota Baba?

      Thank you in advance.

      Regina

    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2008
        Greetings!

        Zolotaya Baba
        Золотая баба
        the only real info is the statement in 16-18 century chronicles that some Siberian tribes -поклоняются Золотой бабе-.
        something very sacred, most likely a statue, somewhere in Siberia. Nobody saw, nobody has ever known where exactly it was|is. Some suggest it's a Greeek|Roman statue stolen by some Huns/Goths/etc from the Roman Empire and brought to eastern woods. Some see it as a Chinese artifact. Some see it as a purely native idol.
        All the same it has ever been a legend, an El Dorado never reached by any conquistador.

        A very vague reference exists in the work by Snisarenko (historian of teh Leningrad Shipbuilding Institute, nice books on history of shipbuilding/naval warfare/pirates - and a book on European paganism, Third Belt of Wisdom, Leningrad, about 1988), mentioning pre-Christian pilgrimages from afair Poland to see the Golden Baba.

        That's all I ever knew on the topic.

        Hope that helps.

      • garnetcat@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2008
          Thank yolou, Alexey.  That is more information than I've been able to find.  Regina