RE: Re: [sig] Period Hungarian Food (and other Eastern European)

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
      Greetings from Sofya.

      >The sources I looked at suggested that rectangular tile stoves were fairly
      >late developments.

      I agree. I have only seen evidence for dome-type stoves in period.

      >Did the dome-type stoves have internal ovens?

      Indeed. That seems to have been a big part of traditional Russian cooking. There is a special baked/boiled milk dish, varenets, that seems to require such an oven.

      I started some research into the Russian oven but didn't get very far. Everything I know is here:
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Architecture/stove.html

      From what I can tell, it was a bee-hive-type oven but with an opening in the top as well as the side. I've played around with trying it out - it seems like it would work like a cross between a "rocket stove" (Google them for more info) and a traditional bread oven - but it's a bit of a construction project and I haven't gotten around to it yet.

      Sofya