Re: [sig] period games

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
      Greetings!

      Checkers
      Bylinas hold them along with chess as Tavleii, from the Latin "tabula"(board). Though, some refer the word to backgammon.
      (the reason is there were dice in Tavleii - and there is a board game with dice to match, backgammon!
      But: afair the old Indian game of chess did involve dice to set the sequence of turns; so the question is _when_ chess players quit using a die to tell whose turn it is.

      NB: chess playing in Old Rus was also considered a gambling game. The clergy were forbidden to play one. The text in Russian just in case one needs.
      http://www.sura.ru/partizan/chees.htm

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
        A reenactor from Latvia whose LiveJournal I read (in Russian) just
        posted two titles that may be of interest on this subject. I'm not
        sure if they're available in the US, and I doubt they've been
        translated, but here's the info anyway (one of the native speakers on
        this list can correct my rough translations if necessary!):

        - В.В. Шевцов. ПОВСЕДНЕВНОСТЬ ДОСУГА. ФОРМЫ ИГРОВОГО ДОСУГА В СРЕДЕ
        СЛУЖИЛОГО НАСЕЛЕНИЯ ТОМСКОГО ОСТРОГА. (V.V. Shevtsov. Everyday
        Leisure. Forms of Leisure Games among the Working Population of Tomsk
        Island.)

        This one apparently discusses a variety of leisure time activities
        including bones, checkers, chess and card games. I can't tell from
        the description if this includes period games or not, but it seems to
        go into the history of games, so I'm guessing there's something there.

        - В.В. Шевцов. КАРТОЧНАЯ ИГРА В ОБЩЕСТВЕННОМ БЫТУ РОССИИ (КОНЕЦ XVI -
        НАЧАЛО XIX ВВ.) // МАТЕРИАЛЫ НАУЧНЫХ КОНФЕРЕНЦИЙ СТУДЕНТОВ И
        АСПИРАНТОВ ИСТОРИЧЕСКОГО ФАКУЛЬТЕТА ТГУ. 1998-2001 ГГ. (V.V.
        Shevtsov. Card Games in the Common [or Society?] Life in Russia (End
        of 16th - Beginning of 19th Centuries). // Materials from the
        Scientific Conferences of Students and Graduate Students of the
        History Department of TGU. 1998-2001.)

        Here's a link to the LiveJournal, for those of you who read Russian:

        http://ms-reenactor.livejournal.com/

        --Kseniia

        --
        **********************************
        Kseniia Smolnianina, JdL
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
          My dear friends! These are really specific reasearches that do not apply to
          the Rus' but only to Siberian uses and traditions and not in the Middle Ages
          as it is conventionally fixed.
          I would advise to refer to Dmbinsk's work mainly and Kostomarov Domosc'njaja
          Zhizn' Russkogo Naroda. The historian refers to the home uses of his time
          but compares (this is his main interest) them to the Chronicles and and to
          the past of the three most important areas of the Russian Middle Ages: The
          most ancient NOVGOROD-POLOTSK area, KIEV area, and finally VLADIMIR-SUZDAL
          area.
          This is really a valuiable work to make any research on food and way of
          living in the old Russian Times.Not much has come to the light after
          Kostomarov's epoch (XIX cent.). Even the Birch letters do not inform much
          about food and cooking.

          Ciao

          Aldo
          > A reenactor from Latvia whose LiveJournal I read (in Russian) just
          > posted two titles that may be of interest on this subject. I'm not
          > sure if they're available in the US, and I doubt they've been
          > translated, but here's the info anyway (one of the native speakers on
          > this list can correct my rough translations if necessary!):
          >
          > - В.В. Шевцов. ПОВСЕДНЕВНОСТЬ ДОСУГА. ФОРМЫ ИГРОВОГО ДОСУГА В СРЕДЕ
          > СЛУЖИЛОГО НАСЕЛЕНИЯ ТОМСКОГО ОСТРОГА. (V.V. Shevtsov. Everyday
          > Leisure. Forms of Leisure Games among the Working Population of Tomsk
          > Island.)
          >
          > This one apparently discusses a variety of leisure time activities
          > including bones, checkers, chess and card games. I can't tell from
          > the description if this includes period games or not, but it seems to
          > go into the history of games, so I'm guessing there's something there.
          >
          > - В.В. Шевцов. КАРТОЧНАЯ ИГРА В ОБЩЕСТВЕННОМ БЫТУ РОССИИ (КОНЕЦ XVI -
          > НАЧАЛО XIX ВВ.) // МАТЕРИАЛЫ НАУЧНЫХ КОНФЕРЕНЦИЙ СТУДЕНТОВ И
          > АСПИРАНТОВ ИСТОРИЧЕСКОГО ФАКУЛЬТЕТА ТГУ. 1998-2001 ГГ. (V.V.
          > Shevtsov. Card Games in the Common [or Society?] Life in Russia (End
          > of 16th - Beginning of 19th Centuries). // Materials from the
          > Scientific Conferences of Students and Graduate Students of the
          > History Department of TGU. 1998-2001.)
          >
          > Here's a link to the LiveJournal, for those of you who read Russian:
          >
          > http://ms-reenactor.livejournal.com/
          >
          > --Kseniia
          >

          > 2008/7/1 Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik <Posadnik@...>:
          > > Greetings!
          > >

          > > Checkers
          > > Bylinas hold them along with chess as Tavleii, from the Latin
          "tabula"(board). Though, some refer the word to backgammon.
          > > (the reason is there were dice in Tavleii - and there is a board game
          with dice to match, backgammon!
          > > But: afair the old Indian game of chess did involve dice to set the
          sequence of turns; so the question is _when_ chess players quit using a die
          to tell whose turn it is.

          > > NB: chess playing in Old Rus was also considered a gambling game. The
          clergy were forbidden to play one. The text in Russian just in case one
          needs.
          > > http://www.sura.ru/partizan/chees.htm

        • aldo
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
            I myself made a research about Medieval cuusine in Russia and the bbok has
            been published a couple of yeras ago but unfortnately it is in Italian. If u
            can read and understand I would be glad to send it over FOC.

            Ciao

            Aldo
            > A reenactor from Latvia whose LiveJournal I read (in Russian) just
            > posted two titles that may be of interest on this subject. I'm not
            > sure if they're available in the US, and I doubt they've been
            > translated, but here's the info anyway (one of the native speakers on
            > this list can correct my rough translations if necessary!):
            >
            > - В.В. Шевцов. ПОВСЕДНЕВНОСТЬ ДОСУГА. ФОРМЫ ИГРОВОГО ДОСУГА В СРЕДЕ
            > СЛУЖИЛОГО НАСЕЛЕНИЯ ТОМСКОГО ОСТРОГА. (V.V. Shevtsov. Everyday
            > Leisure. Forms of Leisure Games among the Working Population of Tomsk
            > Island.)
            >
            > This one apparently discusses a variety of leisure time activities
            > including bones, checkers, chess and card games. I can't tell from
            > the description if this includes period games or not, but it seems to
            > go into the history of games, so I'm guessing there's something there.
            >
            > - В.В. Шевцов. КАРТОЧНАЯ ИГРА В ОБЩЕСТВЕННОМ БЫТУ РОССИИ (КОНЕЦ XVI -
            > НАЧАЛО XIX ВВ.) // МАТЕРИАЛЫ НАУЧНЫХ КОНФЕРЕНЦИЙ СТУДЕНТОВ И
            > АСПИРАНТОВ ИСТОРИЧЕСКОГО ФАКУЛЬТЕТА ТГУ. 1998-2001 ГГ. (V.V.
            > Shevtsov. Card Games in the Common [or Society?] Life in Russia (End
            > of 16th - Beginning of 19th Centuries). // Materials from the
            > Scientific Conferences of Students and Graduate Students of the
            > History Department of TGU. 1998-2001.)
            >
            > Here's a link to the LiveJournal, for those of you who read Russian:
            >
            > http://ms-reenactor.livejournal.com/
            >
            > --Kseniia
            >

            > 2008/7/1 Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik <Posadnik@...>:
            > > Greetings!
            > >

            > > Checkers
            > > Bylinas hold them along with chess as Tavleii, from the Latin
            "tabula"(board). Though, some refer the word to backgammon.
            > > (the reason is there were dice in Tavleii - and there is a board game
            with dice to match, backgammon!
            > > But: afair the old Indian game of chess did involve dice to set the
            sequence of turns; so the question is _when_ chess players quit using a die
            to tell whose turn it is.

            > > NB: chess playing in Old Rus was also considered a gambling game. The
            clergy were forbidden to play one. The text in Russian just in case one
            needs.
            > > http://www.sura.ru/partizan/chees.htm

          • Kseniia Smolnianina
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
              Thanks very much for the clarification, Aldo! I admit I only skimmed
              the descriptions. :)

              --Kseniia

              --
              **********************************
              Kseniia Smolnianina, JdL
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                --- Kseniia Smolnianina <kseniia@...> wrote:
                > Here's a link to the LiveJournal, for those of you
                > who read Russian:
                >
                > http://ms-reenactor.livejournal.com/
                >
                > --Kseniia

                Poked around that lj and found this
                http://community.livejournal.com/medievalrus
                PRETTY PICTURES!

                Now I know I have to learn to read russian!!!

                --Sfandra
                (http://sfandra.livejournal.com/)

                ******************
                Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                Haus Von Drakenklaue
                Kingdom of the East
                ******************
                Never 'pearl' your butt.
              • spmaiorca@cox.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                  hey,
                  I'm not doing a slavic improession- My persona is Romanian so I am realy Latin, any how I'm doing a Wallachian persona from the 14th to 15th century. I was wondering if any one has any information about titles and possibly some garb ideas. I'm looking at an embordered tunics
                  and armor. I know this page might not have truly period clothing- as they are folk out fits http://www.geocities.com/upyr1/garb/other/index.html
                  but I like the emprodery and belts and if you have tips on how to make it better I'd be glad to hear it. I just don't want to hear "no" to my garb with out an alternitive that fits my persona. I know that this would be period
                  http://www.geocities.com/upyr1/garb/court/index.html but I don't think it would fit my persona -as Vlad was the rulling viovode/domnul and my persona is a merchant.
                  Also i was wondering if you think
                  http://www.eliznik.co.uk/ has any relvant informaiton in terms of music dance or the like.
                  -Patrick AKA Nikodem Vladescu
                • Emy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
                    I read this community too: http://community.livejournal.com/reconstructor/

                    :D Varies in period a lot, but sometimes get some nice pretty pictures... ;)

                    Sfandra wrote:
                    > --- Kseniia Smolnianina <kseniia@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Here's a link to the LiveJournal, for those of you
                    >> who read Russian:
                    >>
                    >> http://ms-reenactor.livejournal.com/
                    >>
                    >> --Kseniia
                    >>

                    > Poked around that lj and found this
                    > http://community.livejournal.com/medievalrus
                    > PRETTY PICTURES!
                    >
                    > Now I know I have to learn to read russian!!!
                    >
                    > --Sfandra
                    > (http://sfandra.livejournal.com/)
                    >
                    > ******************
                    > Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                    > KOE, Maunche, Apprentice to Maitresse Irene LeNoir
                    > Haus Von Drakenklaue
                    > Kingdom of the East
                  • Scott Bradley
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
                      Nikodem Vladescu,

                      I am a 15th Century Wallachian as well. To start with try searching the neighboring cultures for garb, the Carpathian mountains were quite the crossroads for cultures in the 15th Century. Try looking up John Hunyadi too. Here are some websites below that might help, the first one is mine where I have posted some photos of Wallachian garb I have made. Some of the websites are more accurate than others but they are good starting points. If you have any questions let me know.

                      http://pyrokinetika.com/Boris/Arts <http://pyrokinetika.com/Boris/Arts&Science.htm> &Science.htm

                      Fine Arts <http://hungart.euroweb.hu/index_en.html> in Hungary Home Page

                      Gate <http://www.geocities.com/belovedtransylvania/Gate.html>

                      Grozer <http://www.grozerarchery.com/index_m.htm> Traditional Recurve Bows Hungary