period games

  • Marilyn
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
      ? A friend has asked me for links to any games which might have been played
      in Russian and Slavic areas in period. I know I had heard of chess .. do
      any of you know of any others?

      Thanks Marija

    • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
        There were many 9-man morris style boards found in Novgorod.

        Ianuk

        On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Marilyn <mamalynx@...> wrote:

        > ? A friend has asked me for links to any games which might have been
        > played
        > in Russian and Slavic areas in period. I know I had heard of chess .. do
        > any of you know of any others?
        >
        > Thanks Marija

      • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
          Greetings!

          Checkers
          Bylinas hold them along with chess as Tavleii, from the Latin "tabula"(board). Though, some refer the word to backgammon.
          (the reason is there were dice in Tavleii - and there is a board game with dice to match, backgammon!
          But: afair the old Indian game of chess did involve dice to set the sequence of turns; so the question is _when_ chess players quit using a die to tell whose turn it is.

          NB: chess playing in Old Rus was also considered a gambling game. The clergy were forbidden to play one. The text in Russian just in case one needs.
          http://www.sura.ru/partizan/chees.htm

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
            A reenactor from Latvia whose LiveJournal I read (in Russian) just
            posted two titles that may be of interest on this subject. I'm not
            sure if they're available in the US, and I doubt they've been
            translated, but here's the info anyway (one of the native speakers on
            this list can correct my rough translations if necessary!):

            - В.В. Шевцов. ПОВСЕДНЕВНОСТЬ ДОСУГА. ФОРМЫ ИГРОВОГО ДОСУГА В СРЕДЕ
            СЛУЖИЛОГО НАСЕЛЕНИЯ ТОМСКОГО ОСТРОГА. (V.V. Shevtsov. Everyday
            Leisure. Forms of Leisure Games among the Working Population of Tomsk
            Island.)

            This one apparently discusses a variety of leisure time activities
            including bones, checkers, chess and card games. I can't tell from
            the description if this includes period games or not, but it seems to
            go into the history of games, so I'm guessing there's something there.

            - В.В. Шевцов. КАРТОЧНАЯ ИГРА В ОБЩЕСТВЕННОМ БЫТУ РОССИИ (КОНЕЦ XVI -
            НАЧАЛО XIX ВВ.) // МАТЕРИАЛЫ НАУЧНЫХ КОНФЕРЕНЦИЙ СТУДЕНТОВ И
            АСПИРАНТОВ ИСТОРИЧЕСКОГО ФАКУЛЬТЕТА ТГУ. 1998-2001 ГГ. (V.V.
            Shevtsov. Card Games in the Common [or Society?] Life in Russia (End
            of 16th - Beginning of 19th Centuries). // Materials from the
            Scientific Conferences of Students and Graduate Students of the
            History Department of TGU. 1998-2001.)

            Here's a link to the LiveJournal, for those of you who read Russian:

            http://ms-reenactor.livejournal.com/

            --Kseniia

            --
            **********************************
            Kseniia Smolnianina, JdL
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
              My dear friends! These are really specific reasearches that do not apply to
              the Rus' but only to Siberian uses and traditions and not in the Middle Ages
              as it is conventionally fixed.
              I would advise to refer to Dmbinsk's work mainly and Kostomarov Domosc'njaja
              Zhizn' Russkogo Naroda. The historian refers to the home uses of his time
              but compares (this is his main interest) them to the Chronicles and and to
              the past of the three most important areas of the Russian Middle Ages: The
              most ancient NOVGOROD-POLOTSK area, KIEV area, and finally VLADIMIR-SUZDAL
              area.
              This is really a valuiable work to make any research on food and way of
              living in the old Russian Times.Not much has come to the light after
              Kostomarov's epoch (XIX cent.). Even the Birch letters do not inform much
              about food and cooking.

              Ciao

              Aldo
              > A reenactor from Latvia whose LiveJournal I read (in Russian) just
              > posted two titles that may be of interest on this subject. I'm not
              > sure if they're available in the US, and I doubt they've been
              > translated, but here's the info anyway (one of the native speakers on
              > this list can correct my rough translations if necessary!):
              >
              > - В.В. Шевцов. ПОВСЕДНЕВНОСТЬ ДОСУГА. ФОРМЫ ИГРОВОГО ДОСУГА В СРЕДЕ
              > СЛУЖИЛОГО НАСЕЛЕНИЯ ТОМСКОГО ОСТРОГА. (V.V. Shevtsov. Everyday
              > Leisure. Forms of Leisure Games among the Working Population of Tomsk
              > Island.)
              >
              > This one apparently discusses a variety of leisure time activities
              > including bones, checkers, chess and card games. I can't tell from
              > the description if this includes period games or not, but it seems to
              > go into the history of games, so I'm guessing there's something there.
              >
              > - В.В. Шевцов. КАРТОЧНАЯ ИГРА В ОБЩЕСТВЕННОМ БЫТУ РОССИИ (КОНЕЦ XVI -
              > НАЧАЛО XIX ВВ.) // МАТЕРИАЛЫ НАУЧНЫХ КОНФЕРЕНЦИЙ СТУДЕНТОВ И
              > АСПИРАНТОВ ИСТОРИЧЕСКОГО ФАКУЛЬТЕТА ТГУ. 1998-2001 ГГ. (V.V.
              > Shevtsov. Card Games in the Common [or Society?] Life in Russia (End
              > of 16th - Beginning of 19th Centuries). // Materials from the
              > Scientific Conferences of Students and Graduate Students of the
              > History Department of TGU. 1998-2001.)
              >
              > Here's a link to the LiveJournal, for those of you who read Russian:
              >
              > http://ms-reenactor.livejournal.com/
              >
              > --Kseniia
              >

              > 2008/7/1 Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik <Posadnik@...>:
              > > Greetings!
              > >

              > > Checkers
              > > Bylinas hold them along with chess as Tavleii, from the Latin
              "tabula"(board). Though, some refer the word to backgammon.
              > > (the reason is there were dice in Tavleii - and there is a board game
              with dice to match, backgammon!
              > > But: afair the old Indian game of chess did involve dice to set the
              sequence of turns; so the question is _when_ chess players quit using a die
              to tell whose turn it is.

              > > NB: chess playing in Old Rus was also considered a gambling game. The
              clergy were forbidden to play one. The text in Russian just in case one
              needs.
              > > http://www.sura.ru/partizan/chees.htm

            • aldo
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                I myself made a research about Medieval cuusine in Russia and the bbok has
                been published a couple of yeras ago but unfortnately it is in Italian. If u
                can read and understand I would be glad to send it over FOC.

                Ciao

                Aldo
                > A reenactor from Latvia whose LiveJournal I read (in Russian) just
                > posted two titles that may be of interest on this subject. I'm not
                > sure if they're available in the US, and I doubt they've been
                > translated, but here's the info anyway (one of the native speakers on
                > this list can correct my rough translations if necessary!):
                >
                > - В.В. Шевцов. ПОВСЕДНЕВНОСТЬ ДОСУГА. ФОРМЫ ИГРОВОГО ДОСУГА В СРЕДЕ
                > СЛУЖИЛОГО НАСЕЛЕНИЯ ТОМСКОГО ОСТРОГА. (V.V. Shevtsov. Everyday
                > Leisure. Forms of Leisure Games among the Working Population of Tomsk
                > Island.)
                >
                > This one apparently discusses a variety of leisure time activities
                > including bones, checkers, chess and card games. I can't tell from
                > the description if this includes period games or not, but it seems to
                > go into the history of games, so I'm guessing there's something there.
                >
                > - В.В. Шевцов. КАРТОЧНАЯ ИГРА В ОБЩЕСТВЕННОМ БЫТУ РОССИИ (КОНЕЦ XVI -
                > НАЧАЛО XIX ВВ.) // МАТЕРИАЛЫ НАУЧНЫХ КОНФЕРЕНЦИЙ СТУДЕНТОВ И
                > АСПИРАНТОВ ИСТОРИЧЕСКОГО ФАКУЛЬТЕТА ТГУ. 1998-2001 ГГ. (V.V.
                > Shevtsov. Card Games in the Common [or Society?] Life in Russia (End
                > of 16th - Beginning of 19th Centuries). // Materials from the
                > Scientific Conferences of Students and Graduate Students of the
                > History Department of TGU. 1998-2001.)
                >
                > Here's a link to the LiveJournal, for those of you who read Russian:
                >
                > http://ms-reenactor.livejournal.com/
                >
                > --Kseniia
                >

                > 2008/7/1 Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik <Posadnik@...>:
                > > Greetings!
                > >

                > > Checkers
                > > Bylinas hold them along with chess as Tavleii, from the Latin
                "tabula"(board). Though, some refer the word to backgammon.
                > > (the reason is there were dice in Tavleii - and there is a board game
                with dice to match, backgammon!
                > > But: afair the old Indian game of chess did involve dice to set the
                sequence of turns; so the question is _when_ chess players quit using a die
                to tell whose turn it is.

                > > NB: chess playing in Old Rus was also considered a gambling game. The
                clergy were forbidden to play one. The text in Russian just in case one
                needs.
                > > http://www.sura.ru/partizan/chees.htm

              • Kseniia Smolnianina
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                  Thanks very much for the clarification, Aldo! I admit I only skimmed
                  the descriptions. :)

                  --Kseniia

                  --
                  **********************************
                  Kseniia Smolnianina, JdL
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                    --- Kseniia Smolnianina <kseniia@...> wrote:
                    > Here's a link to the LiveJournal, for those of you
                    > who read Russian:
                    >
                    > http://ms-reenactor.livejournal.com/
                    >
                    > --Kseniia

                    Poked around that lj and found this
                    http://community.livejournal.com/medievalrus
                    PRETTY PICTURES!

                    Now I know I have to learn to read russian!!!

                    --Sfandra
                    (http://sfandra.livejournal.com/)

                    ******************
                    Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                    Haus Von Drakenklaue
                    Kingdom of the East
                    ******************
                    Never 'pearl' your butt.
                  • spmaiorca@cox.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                      hey,
                      I'm not doing a slavic improession- My persona is Romanian so I am realy Latin, any how I'm doing a Wallachian persona from the 14th to 15th century. I was wondering if any one has any information about titles and possibly some garb ideas. I'm looking at an embordered tunics
                      and armor. I know this page might not have truly period clothing- as they are folk out fits http://www.geocities.com/upyr1/garb/other/index.html
                      but I like the emprodery and belts and if you have tips on how to make it better I'd be glad to hear it. I just don't want to hear "no" to my garb with out an alternitive that fits my persona. I know that this would be period
                      http://www.geocities.com/upyr1/garb/court/index.html but I don't think it would fit my persona -as Vlad was the rulling viovode/domnul and my persona is a merchant.
                      Also i was wondering if you think
                      http://www.eliznik.co.uk/ has any relvant informaiton in terms of music dance or the like.
                      -Patrick AKA Nikodem Vladescu
                    • Emy
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
                        I read this community too: http://community.livejournal.com/reconstructor/

                        :D Varies in period a lot, but sometimes get some nice pretty pictures... ;)

                        Sfandra wrote:
                        > --- Kseniia Smolnianina <kseniia@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Here's a link to the LiveJournal, for those of you
                        >> who read Russian:
                        >>
                        >> http://ms-reenactor.livejournal.com/
                        >>
                        >> --Kseniia
                        >>

                        > Poked around that lj and found this
                        > http://community.livejournal.com/medievalrus
                        > PRETTY PICTURES!
                        >
                        > Now I know I have to learn to read russian!!!
                        >
                        > --Sfandra
                        > (http://sfandra.livejournal.com/)
                        >
                        > ******************
                        > Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                        > KOE, Maunche, Apprentice to Maitresse Irene LeNoir
                        > Haus Von Drakenklaue
                        > Kingdom of the East
                      • Scott Bradley
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 4, 2008
                          Nikodem Vladescu,

                          I am a 15th Century Wallachian as well. To start with try searching the neighboring cultures for garb, the Carpathian mountains were quite the crossroads for cultures in the 15th Century. Try looking up John Hunyadi too. Here are some websites below that might help, the first one is mine where I have posted some photos of Wallachian garb I have made. Some of the websites are more accurate than others but they are good starting points. If you have any questions let me know.

                          http://pyrokinetika.com/Boris/Arts <http://pyrokinetika.com/Boris/Arts&Science.htm> &Science.htm

                          Fine Arts <http://hungart.euroweb.hu/index_en.html> in Hungary Home Page

                          Gate <http://www.geocities.com/belovedtransylvania/Gate.html>

                          Grozer <http://www.grozerarchery.com/index_m.htm> Traditional Recurve Bows Hungary