Re: Digest Number 2617

  • Frank Douglas
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2008
      I have been a herald in the past, I have been in for over 26 years, and I have never tried to pass my name or device.

      for two reasons. First I like the history of so many cultures, that my persona has not stuck for long. (Saxon, Norse, Dane, Irish, Tibetan, roman, now and most likely forever Transylvania Saxon). Second some of the persona's have , culturally, very different views of heraldry than England or France.

      When I meet up with someone who is frustrated I point out that if they have done there research , both SCA and heraldry for their persona they can usually find any problem them selves.

      And most important, just as your focus in the SCA may be fighting or A&S and you what to play at your highest level, so do the heralds and that is there focus. They do a great job and in your frustration are you trying to take their focus away.

      I get frustrated when a non fighter who just watched star wars tries to show me how to use a light saber. and I am sure heralds get frustrated with someone that just saw a "draw the turtle" art class in the back of a magazine telling them how cool something would look.

      Gyula, Wiktor Kostka
      Squire to Sir Emyrs Shaunnon
      Member of the Black Gryphon
      Premier Pup of the Amazon Household