Re: [sig] Summerwear for Slavic Personas...

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
      Linen! Linen is your friend! Also very light cotton
      - muslin or gauze.

      I wear Kievan rus' year round. 95% of all my garb is
      linen. If it's not linen, it's either cotton or wool
      (except for a few court pieces in brocaded acetate).
      I find that two layers - usually a sorochka and a
      navershnik, is perfectly comfortable in summer, if
      made from linen, or one light cotton and one linen.
      I'll break out the heavier stuff in the evening.

      As for headwear: being only engaged, not married ;) I
      have some fudge room. I generally wear an extremely
      light veil under a straw hat in summmer. the Veil is
      an open-wave long cotton one I scored in the FL Keys
      one vacation. The straw hat is a simple dome crown
      with a wide brim. I've got irish blood and roceacea:
      I go from white to BURN in point-nothing. The veil
      and hat protect me. But I have been known to wear
      regular hats - again, made only of linen - in summer.
      I'm lucky: I have short, very fine hair, so I can wear
      hats all year without discomfort.

      I carry a nice big folding fan, and I have made a few
      neckcoolers as well, but I haven't had to use any of
      them yet. With the loose veil and broad brimmed hat,
      I have shade with me at all times.

      --Sfandra Dmitrieva

      --- Jennifer Nelson Kemp <lady.ianuk@...> wrote:

      > So, in the prep for pennsic I'm in a quandry. Due
      > to the extreme heat
      > we get in Atenveldt I tend to make hangerocks (the
      > Viking apron dress)
      > for summer wear versus my svistas, povoiniks and
      > veils of my Rus
      > persona. I'm calling out to all of the
      > ladies...what do you do to
      > beat the heat and still wear your wonderful Rus
      > clothing? I'm looking
      > at my fabric stash and feeling guilty that I'm
      > pondering making more
      > viking clothing than my Kiev or Novgorod Rus.
      >
      > Posadnitsa Ianuk, OL
      > Baroness of Tir Ysgithr, Atenveldt

      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      Haus Von Drakenklaue