Re: [sig] Summerwear for Slavic Personas...

  • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2008
      Yes, right after I posted I was like "didn't I read about sofya
      teaching a class on that???" Thanks. I'm silly.

      Ianuk

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
        Linen! Linen is your friend! Also very light cotton
        - muslin or gauze.

        I wear Kievan rus' year round. 95% of all my garb is
        linen. If it's not linen, it's either cotton or wool
        (except for a few court pieces in brocaded acetate).
        I find that two layers - usually a sorochka and a
        navershnik, is perfectly comfortable in summer, if
        made from linen, or one light cotton and one linen.
        I'll break out the heavier stuff in the evening.

        As for headwear: being only engaged, not married ;) I
        have some fudge room. I generally wear an extremely
        light veil under a straw hat in summmer. the Veil is
        an open-wave long cotton one I scored in the FL Keys
        one vacation. The straw hat is a simple dome crown
        with a wide brim. I've got irish blood and roceacea:
        I go from white to BURN in point-nothing. The veil
        and hat protect me. But I have been known to wear
        regular hats - again, made only of linen - in summer.
        I'm lucky: I have short, very fine hair, so I can wear
        hats all year without discomfort.

        I carry a nice big folding fan, and I have made a few
        neckcoolers as well, but I haven't had to use any of
        them yet. With the loose veil and broad brimmed hat,
        I have shade with me at all times.

        --Sfandra Dmitrieva

        --- Jennifer Nelson Kemp <lady.ianuk@...> wrote:

        > So, in the prep for pennsic I'm in a quandry. Due
        > to the extreme heat
        > we get in Atenveldt I tend to make hangerocks (the
        > Viking apron dress)
        > for summer wear versus my svistas, povoiniks and
        > veils of my Rus
        > persona. I'm calling out to all of the
        > ladies...what do you do to
        > beat the heat and still wear your wonderful Rus
        > clothing? I'm looking
        > at my fabric stash and feeling guilty that I'm
        > pondering making more
        > viking clothing than my Kiev or Novgorod Rus.
        >
        > Posadnitsa Ianuk, OL
        > Baroness of Tir Ysgithr, Atenveldt

        Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        Haus Von Drakenklaue