Re: [sig] Re: goldwork and pearling... LONG response

    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2008
      Hey look, it's my notes on my "Embellishing Russian
      Garb" class! :D

      I try to find gold cord that's not entirely fakey
      looking mylar stuff, but rather gold thread that's
      wrapped around or otherwise incasing a cotton or
      polyester base. Generally, you can pretty much tell
      what looks phoney and what looks good when you shop.
      I can usually find something locally. Surprise
      surprise, but some Walmarts have a rack of by-the-roll
      trims and cords, and I usually can find some stuff in
      there worth using. Of course, it's usually only 3
      yards per spool, but at a buck a spool, I can't argue.

      I'm also willing to use non-metallic gold thread of
      good color and make cord myself - by either twisting
      or passemaine techniques. Cotton crochet thread is
      good for this. I'm not familiar with Lacis, so I
      can't much say, though I was thinking of ordering
      cards for tablet weaving, so maybe I'll get a sample
      of cords as well when I do that. I don't know how to
      Lucet at all....

      Gems are harder. You can order small rhinestone-like
      gems preset in sew-on settings called Rosemontees from
      places like Shipwreck Beads (OOO! and they're on sale
      right now!)
      http://www.shipwreckbeads.com/search/rosemontee/searchType/or/orderBy/sku/itemsPerPage/20/page/6/item/4RH242(local
      to you, since you're in AnTir), or Fire Mountain Gems.
      The Rosemontees are good for accent, not necessarily
      focal points of the design. These places also sell
      cabochons, and some settings. I find that I can
      sometimes use a pendant setting for a sewing piece by
      sewing down the setting. This one, for example, I've
      used a lot:
      http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H201902MT
      You set the cabochon into the prong setting, and sew
      through the filigree.

      Another source is Wolf E Myrow in Providence RI.
      http://www.closeoutjewelryfindings.com/index.htm
      However, they are a bulk seller only, and you have to
      know exactly what you want when you order: Eg: "I
      want one gross of foil-back 18x13mm oval glass
      cabochons in red, with one gross of 18x13mm flat back
      setting in raw brass." And they have a minimum order
      amount. Really, if you don't know exactly what
      you're looking for, I don't recommend them. However,
      if you do, have fun, because they have TONS of stuff.
      I've been inside the warehouse once to shop.... like
      Mecca, it was... ;) If you HAPPEN to be in the
      Boston/Providence area and want to go sometime.. CALL
      ME! I'll happily take a day off from work... ;P

      Most of the time, you're going to have to glue
      cabochons into settings, unless you find prong
      settings, so take this advice: SEW THE SETTING DOWN
      FIRST! Yes, kids, Sfandra has had to throw away six
      lovely cabochons, because she stupidly glued first...
      and the glue filled in the holes that WOULD have been
      the places to pass some thread through... Oops. Look
      for settings that have some sort of design that lets
      you sew through it. You can glue to fabric, but it
      won't last forever. in the setting I linked above,
      sometimes I just leave the filigree visible, but other
      times, I'll pearl right up against it and over the
      filigree, so that it's hidden. Depends on the design.

      One more note: both AC Moore and Joann carry a line
      of acrylic 'rhinestones' in 3, 5, and 7 mm sizes that
      have matching silver 4-prong settings sold separately.
      At ACMoore they're in the beading aisles by the bulk
      packages, and at Joann's they're in the aisle with the
      iron-ons, and patches, and beaded trim and stuff (I
      call it the "bling my jeans" aisle for tweenagers). I
      have used these, by pushing the prongs through the
      fabric from the back and then setting the gem in. If
      you use these on a garment, wash inside-out, because
      the prongs can catch and unbend, loosing the gem.
      (Speaking of washing, a LARGE fine-mesh lingerie wash
      bag is a good investment. I've found that even if a
      setting or some beading comes loose, if the piece is
      in a bag, I don't loose the beads or gems. I share a
      washer with my whole building, so that's a concern for
      me. Even a mesh laundry bag works well if the garment
      is inside-out).

      Don't forget that instead of gems, you can use "metal
      bits".
      http://www.closeoutjewelryfindings.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?search=yes&hits_seen=10&category=Findings_>_Stampings
      This page, second from the bottom. I'm using these as
      the central motifs of a new ozherlya.

      And of course, if you come to Pennsic, I'll be showing
      bits and bobs and things like this in my "Embellishing
      Russian Garb" class.

      --Sfandra

      --- bphall76@... wrote:

      > Ok, so I have a couple questions, too. What kind of
      > gold cording is being
      > used, the kind one gets from the fabric/craft store
      > or more like the kind one
      > gets from Lacis? How do you get the gems, glass or
      > otherwise, to stay on the
      > cloth? On the letnik applique, is it a straight
      > piece across the sleeves or
      > is it shaped?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Vasilisa Myshkina