Re: goldwork and pearling...

  • bphall76@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2008
      Ok, so I have a couple questions, too. What kind of gold cording is being
      used, the kind one gets from the fabric/craft store or more like the kind one
      gets from Lacis? How do you get the gems, glass or otherwise, to stay on the
      cloth? On the letnik applique, is it a straight piece across the sleeves or
      is it shaped?

      Thanks
      Vasilisa Myshkina
      Glymm Mere, An Tir

      Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 29, 2008
        Hey look, it's my notes on my "Embellishing Russian
        Garb" class! :D

        I try to find gold cord that's not entirely fakey
        looking mylar stuff, but rather gold thread that's
        wrapped around or otherwise incasing a cotton or
        polyester base. Generally, you can pretty much tell
        what looks phoney and what looks good when you shop.
        I can usually find something locally. Surprise
        surprise, but some Walmarts have a rack of by-the-roll
        trims and cords, and I usually can find some stuff in
        there worth using. Of course, it's usually only 3
        yards per spool, but at a buck a spool, I can't argue.

        I'm also willing to use non-metallic gold thread of
        good color and make cord myself - by either twisting
        or passemaine techniques. Cotton crochet thread is
        good for this. I'm not familiar with Lacis, so I
        can't much say, though I was thinking of ordering
        cards for tablet weaving, so maybe I'll get a sample
        of cords as well when I do that. I don't know how to
        Lucet at all....

        Gems are harder. You can order small rhinestone-like
        gems preset in sew-on settings called Rosemontees from
        places like Shipwreck Beads (OOO! and they're on sale
        right now!)
        http://www.shipwreckbeads.com/search/rosemontee/searchType/or/orderBy/sku/itemsPerPage/20/page/6/item/4RH242(local
        to you, since you're in AnTir), or Fire Mountain Gems.
        The Rosemontees are good for accent, not necessarily
        focal points of the design. These places also sell
        cabochons, and some settings. I find that I can
        sometimes use a pendant setting for a sewing piece by
        sewing down the setting. This one, for example, I've
        used a lot:
        http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H201902MT
        You set the cabochon into the prong setting, and sew
        through the filigree.

        Another source is Wolf E Myrow in Providence RI.
        http://www.closeoutjewelryfindings.com/index.htm
        However, they are a bulk seller only, and you have to
        know exactly what you want when you order: Eg: "I
        want one gross of foil-back 18x13mm oval glass
        cabochons in red, with one gross of 18x13mm flat back
        setting in raw brass." And they have a minimum order
        amount. Really, if you don't know exactly what
        you're looking for, I don't recommend them. However,
        if you do, have fun, because they have TONS of stuff.
        I've been inside the warehouse once to shop.... like
        Mecca, it was... ;) If you HAPPEN to be in the
        Boston/Providence area and want to go sometime.. CALL
        ME! I'll happily take a day off from work... ;P

        Most of the time, you're going to have to glue
        cabochons into settings, unless you find prong
        settings, so take this advice: SEW THE SETTING DOWN
        FIRST! Yes, kids, Sfandra has had to throw away six
        lovely cabochons, because she stupidly glued first...
        and the glue filled in the holes that WOULD have been
        the places to pass some thread through... Oops. Look
        for settings that have some sort of design that lets
        you sew through it. You can glue to fabric, but it
        won't last forever. in the setting I linked above,
        sometimes I just leave the filigree visible, but other
        times, I'll pearl right up against it and over the
        filigree, so that it's hidden. Depends on the design.

        One more note: both AC Moore and Joann carry a line
        of acrylic 'rhinestones' in 3, 5, and 7 mm sizes that
        have matching silver 4-prong settings sold separately.
        At ACMoore they're in the beading aisles by the bulk
        packages, and at Joann's they're in the aisle with the
        iron-ons, and patches, and beaded trim and stuff (I
        call it the "bling my jeans" aisle for tweenagers). I
        have used these, by pushing the prongs through the
        fabric from the back and then setting the gem in. If
        you use these on a garment, wash inside-out, because
        the prongs can catch and unbend, loosing the gem.
        (Speaking of washing, a LARGE fine-mesh lingerie wash
        bag is a good investment. I've found that even if a
        setting or some beading comes loose, if the piece is
        in a bag, I don't loose the beads or gems. I share a
        washer with my whole building, so that's a concern for
        me. Even a mesh laundry bag works well if the garment
        is inside-out).

        Don't forget that instead of gems, you can use "metal
        bits".
        http://www.closeoutjewelryfindings.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?search=yes&hits_seen=10&category=Findings_>_Stampings
        This page, second from the bottom. I'm using these as
        the central motifs of a new ozherlya.

        And of course, if you come to Pennsic, I'll be showing
        bits and bobs and things like this in my "Embellishing
        Russian Garb" class.

        --Sfandra

        --- bphall76@... wrote:

        > Ok, so I have a couple questions, too. What kind of
        > gold cording is being
        > used, the kind one gets from the fabric/craft store
        > or more like the kind one
        > gets from Lacis? How do you get the gems, glass or
        > otherwise, to stay on the
        > cloth? On the letnik applique, is it a straight
        > piece across the sleeves or
        > is it shaped?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Vasilisa Myshkina