Raised pearling, goldwork

  • Su Ralston
    Message 1 of 2 , May 24 7:15 AM
      Liudmila wrote:
      ... you have to lay the foundation of cotton or linen yarn. I did it in two
      layers, with the second layer slightly smaller in area than the first. I
      advise practicing before the real thing, or you may have to undo and start
      over like I did more than once. For the bullion, it is the same thing except
      that you have to measure and cut carefully to get as smooth as you can. I am
      not really there yet.

      You can also use layers of felt or felted wool, but put the smaller layer
      first, then the larger layer pads the edges so it is more like a bubble and
      less like a topographical map ;-)

      Su of the Silver Horn, Caid
      PS to Liudmila - I'm in Calafia and you're in Chicago this weekend...
      totally no fair! ;-(
    • boiarynia
      Message 2 of 2 , May 24 8:41 PM
        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Su Ralston" <suralston@...> wrote:

        > You can also use layers of felt or felted wool, but put the smaller
        layer
        > first, then the larger layer pads the edges so it is more like a
        bubble and
        > less like a topographical map ;-)
        >
        > Su of the Silver Horn, Caid
        > PS to Liudmila - I'm in Calafia and you're in Chicago this weekend...
        > totally no fair! ;-(

        That is a great method and would work for people less clumsy than
        myself (it is not false modesty, it is reality I try to overcome). I
        find that laying down a cord or yarn foundation is more flexible as it
        does not require cutting out of precise shapes and the yarn can even
        be coaxed to go where you want later. So, the hat is made with yarn
        foundation -- cotton yarn from Michael's, yellow under gold and white
        under pearls.

        Liudmila

        P.S. back: You know, for some bizzare reason I believed the forecast
        last week and thought Chicago had Calafia weather this weekend. We
        need coats! I almost wish that I were at Potrero. Almost :)