Re: [sig] Re: Calling Mistress Liudmila! Question about hat....

    Message 1 of 8 , May 23, 2008
      Jeez, you ARE THE PEARLING DIVA.....I think I'll show
      my Lady and wet her appetite! Somehow, she misses the
      point that Russian is often quite stunning!
      'dok

      http://picasaweb.google.com/Liudmila.SCA/LiudmilaSClothingAndHeadwear/photo#5132039589846176162

      http://picasaweb.google.com/Liudmila.SCA/LiudmilaSClothingAndHeadwear/photo#5132039602731078066

      > --Sfandra
      >
      > --- Tarrise <iamtrasi@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I thought the same thing. This is where I went.
      > > If it is not
      > > correct, my apologies in advance.
      > > http://www.sca-russian.com/index.html
      > >
      > > Ditto on the drooling what wonderful information!
      > >
      > > Katinka
      > >

      > ******************
      > Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      > KOE, Maunche, Apprentice to Maitresse Irene LeNoir
      > Haus Von Drakenklaue
      > Kingdom of the East
      > ******************
      > Never 'pearl' your butt.

      Best Regards,
      'dok
      Message 2 of 8 , May 23, 2008
        Yeah, Liudmila's work totally rocks my socks off, too.
        That's why I wanted to know how she achieved that
        raised effect. The 3 dimensional quality really adds
        to the impact of the work, particularly on the couched
        cord elements. IF (big if) I get as many of my
        projects done before July as I hope, I'm going to
        start on an ozherlya for the Pennsic A&S display, and
        I wanted to try and get the same effect as seen on the
        17th C letnik applique she used as her exemplar.
        Plus, I scored like 7 gross of pearls on a recent
        shopping trip, so I'm ready for a round of
        Accessorizing.

        --Sfandra

      • LiudmilaV@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 23, 2008
          Huh? What? I am being all my professional mundane self in Chicago at a conference this weekend. Anyone from SIG in this town?

          Ok, sorry -- I can't find your original request, but I can answer this. The method for the raised effect is the same as for usual pearling -- you have to lay the foundation of cotton or linen yarn. I did it in two layers, with the second layer slightly smaller in area than the first. I advise practicing before the real thin, or you may have to undo and start over like I did more than once. For the bullion, it is the same thing except that you have to measure and cut carefully to get as smooth as you can. I am not really there yet.

          Let me know what else you were asking!
          Liudmila