Calling Mistress Liudmila! Question about hat....

    Message 1 of 8 , May 22, 2008
      In once again perusing your excellent site, wallowing
      in admiration and envy, I sighed again over the
      pictures you'd posted of the letnik applique that I'd
      seen before, along with your latest hat.

      I wanted to know: how did you achieve the 3
      dimensional "poofiness" on the pattern? Is that
      solely the result of using a thicker bel'? Or did you
      perhaps build up the bel' in multiple layers?

      Thanks,
      Sfandra Dmitrieva

      ******************
      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      Haus Von Drakenklaue
      Kingdom of the East
      ******************
      Never 'pearl' your butt.
    • Ersebet Szubota (Lisa Warner)
      Message 2 of 8 , May 22, 2008
        For those of us new to the group, can you please direct us to Mistress Liudmila's site? I am most anxious to see what kind of goodies there are to see!

        Alázatos Szolgája,

        Ersebet Szubota of Hungary
      • Tarrise
        Message 3 of 8 , May 22, 2008
          I thought the same thing. This is where I went. If it is not
          correct, my apologies in advance. http://www.sca-russian.com/index.html

          Ditto on the drooling what wonderful information!

          Katinka
          Message 4 of 8 , May 22, 2008
            Yah, then click on PHOTOS and choose Clothing and
            Hats.
            Here is inspiration:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Liudmila.SCA/LiudmilaSClothingAndHeadwear/photo#5132039589846176162

            Here is super-drool-worthy hat:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Liudmila.SCA/LiudmilaSClothingAndHeadwear/photo#5132039602731078066

            --Sfandra

            ******************
            Message 5 of 8 , May 22, 2008
              Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
              <<Yah, then click on PHOTOS and choose Clothing and Hats.>>

              Shame, shame, shame on YOU! I now have to clean up the drool puddle I've left on my keyboard. It makes tiping beri dificilt!

              What gorgeous hats!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have a million and ONE projects to tackle.

              Thanks for the temptation,

              Alázatos Szolgája,

              Ersebet Szubota of Hungary
              Message 6 of 8 , May 23, 2008
                Jeez, you ARE THE PEARLING DIVA.....I think I'll show
                my Lady and wet her appetite! Somehow, she misses the
                point that Russian is often quite stunning!
                'dok
                --- Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

                > Yah, then click on PHOTOS and choose Clothing and
                > Hats.
                > Here is inspiration:

                http://picasaweb.google.com/Liudmila.SCA/LiudmilaSClothingAndHeadwear/photo#5132039589846176162

                > Here is super-drool-worthy hat:

                http://picasaweb.google.com/Liudmila.SCA/LiudmilaSClothingAndHeadwear/photo#5132039602731078066

                > --Sfandra
                >
                > --- Tarrise <iamtrasi@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I thought the same thing. This is where I went.
                > > If it is not
                > > correct, my apologies in advance.
                > > http://www.sca-russian.com/index.html
                > >
                > > Ditto on the drooling what wonderful information!
                > >
                > > Katinka
                > >

                > ******************
                > Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                > KOE, Maunche, Apprentice to Maitresse Irene LeNoir
                > Haus Von Drakenklaue
                > Kingdom of the East
                > ******************
                > Never 'pearl' your butt.

                Best Regards,
                'dok
                Message 7 of 8 , May 23, 2008
                  Yeah, Liudmila's work totally rocks my socks off, too.
                  That's why I wanted to know how she achieved that
                  raised effect. The 3 dimensional quality really adds
                  to the impact of the work, particularly on the couched
                  cord elements. IF (big if) I get as many of my
                  projects done before July as I hope, I'm going to
                  start on an ozherlya for the Pennsic A&S display, and
                  I wanted to try and get the same effect as seen on the
                  17th C letnik applique she used as her exemplar.
                  Plus, I scored like 7 gross of pearls on a recent
                  shopping trip, so I'm ready for a round of
                  Accessorizing.

                  --Sfandra

                • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 23, 2008
                    Huh? What? I am being all my professional mundane self in Chicago at a conference this weekend. Anyone from SIG in this town?

                    Ok, sorry -- I can't find your original request, but I can answer this. The method for the raised effect is the same as for usual pearling -- you have to lay the foundation of cotton or linen yarn. I did it in two layers, with the second layer slightly smaller in area than the first. I advise practicing before the real thin, or you may have to undo and start over like I did more than once. For the bullion, it is the same thing except that you have to measure and cut carefully to get as smooth as you can. I am not really there yet.

                    Let me know what else you were asking!
                    Liudmila