Re: [sig] garb and shoes

  • Dee Thompson
    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2008
      Now to my
      > question: she recently
      > bought herself a pair of shoes to complement her
      > costume and they made
      > her feet break out in a rash. (I know that the
      > Renaissance fair at
      > Ohio State was earlier this month, and that's
      > probably where she got
      > them.) It sounds like contact dermatitis, and that
      > the leather the
      > shoes are made of was treated with something she's
      > allergic to. Does
      > anybody have suggestions of what she might do; could
      > she wear socks
      > thick enough to provide a barrier or would there
      > possibly be a way to
      > neutralize whatever it is that's making her break
      > out? I've washed
      > leather things in the washing machine before, which
      > might do the
      > trick, but I gather these shoes were not
      > inexpensive, so I wouldn't
      > want to recommend it. If they got wet in the rain a
      > couple times,
      > that would probably take care of it too, but in the
      > meantime, she'd
      > have to worry about getting a rash from them.
      >
      > Susannah

      This will probably disappoint her, but the last thing
      she's going to want to do is wear them.
      _If indeed_ it is contact dermatitis, when her feet
      sweat from wearing the shoes, even with socks, it will
      cause whatever she's allergic to (and I'm going to bet
      its probably the dye) to leach out of the leather and
      through the fabric, onto her skin, and probably make
      the situation worse.
      Ditto for getting them wet in the rain and wearing
      them. Or washing them (because she'll have to wear
      them wet to help them keep their shape.)
      And the problem isn't that she'll just be bothered by
      it... Allergic reactions are tricky. They're your
      body's way of telling you, "Hey, monkey, this has
      something that's bad for me. I don't like it. Get it
      away." There is the possibility that the more she's
      exposed to what causes the rash, the worse her
      reaction will become over time.
      The only real solution would be for her to put some
      sort of waterproof barrier between her skin and the
      leather (I've seen folks use plastic bags at
      particularly nasty events to keep their feet dry and
      warm). And, well, that just isn't going to be either
      practical or comfortable for a pregnant woman,
      especially going into summer. Her feet won't be able
      to breathe. They'll get hot. They'll probably swell
      more. And then there's the possibility that she could
      develop worse problems with reactions because the
      further along her pregnancy gets, the more her
      circulation in her feet can become compromised, which
      means the rash might linger longer, or open up the
      possibility of infection through damaged skin, similar
      to a diabetic. (Think of contact dermatitis as a very
      light chemical burn, which technically it sort of is.)

      Sorry for the bad news. The up side, though, is that
      her dermatitis might be a side-effect of her pregnancy
      (which can happen) and a few months after she delivers
      she might be able to wear them.

      Fionnuala, going back to lurking

      Even though the voices in my head aren't real, they have some great ideas.

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2008
        > Sorry for the bad news. The up side, though, is
        > that
        > her dermatitis might be a side-effect of her
        > pregnancy
        > (which can happen) and a few months after she
        > delivers
        > she might be able to wear them.

        In addition: if she has the business card of the
        merchant, she could probably contact them to discuss
        the situation. I know one company that makes
        expensive but lovely moccasin type footwear for
        rennies, and they really stand by their product. She
        might be able to at least find out what sort of things
        went into the leather, thus narrowing the scope of
        what she might be reacting to. And again, it might be
        the pregnancy, which is at least a "self-correcting
        condition"! :D :D

        Cheers,
        Sfandra

        ******************
        Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        Haus Von Drakenklaue
        Kingdom of the East
        ******************
        Never 'pearl' your butt.

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • Lisa D Horan
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2008
          Hi Susannah, I may be able to help with shoe situation. There is a
          product you can get at most stores called aquaphor. It is an extremely
          thick, waterproof substance that works a lot like diaper creams to form
          a barrier between skin and ____. I have two boys with skin allergies &
          eczema and this stuff is great, hypoallergenic & very pure. I think you
          can even get a trial size to see if it works, but it is not too
          expensive and even if it doesn't work it can be saved for the baby.

          If it is a no go, I wore sherpa (Lambskin) shoes all through my
          pregnancy (twins born in august in FL) the extreme comfort outweighed
          the extra warmth. Hope this helped, Brinna.

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "susannah53" <susannah53@...> wrote:

          > First off I'd like to thank everyone who answered my question about my
          > friend who's pregnant and needs new garb. I found some books of
          > historical theatrical costume at the library and we photocopied the
          > appropriate 15th century patterns. She decided that she would ask the
          , and that the leather the
          > shoes are made of was treated with something she's allergic to. Does
          > anybody have suggestions of what she might do; could she wear socks

          > Susannah

        • nd sca
          Message 4 of 5 , May 19, 2008
            Hi, I am sending this to the SIG in hopes that someone will be in the area and willing to teach a Slavic related A&S class this year... Also if you do teach, the shire is going to comp your gate fees.

            The Shire of Drygestan has gratiously offered to waive the admission fees for the instructors of Arts and Sciences classes! If you are interested, please send me your class information, including topic, any age limits, class limit, class cost, length, preferred day and time, etc. If we get enough instructors, we may have classes on Friday as well as Saturday.

            We do have a limit on the number of classes we can hold, so this offer is on a first come-first served basis.

            Lonely Mountain is July 10-13 this year, and is held north of Santa Fe in the Jemez Mountains. It is cool (at night), shady (under the many trees), and beautiful (everywhere) !

            Natal'ia Georgivicha
            A&S Coordinator for LMD