Re: Saint Jadwiga

  • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
    Message 1 of 8 , May 8 3:25 AM
      > If you base your woodcut on classic Slavic iconography, I can help.
      I did a similar project based on Saint Elizabeth of Hungary.
      > At your service,
      >
      > Sofya

      That is good news and I will appreciate your help! Except I've got
      sidetracked translating a section of a pretty, shiny book on Polish
      heraldry. A worthy diversion I'm sure you'll all agree.
      :)
      Nawojka
      P.S I might have found your problem, Pan Zygmunt! The cross osmorog
      seems to go by another, more proper name. That bit of the book will get
      translated too, since I want some for my device. They're pretty :)
    • Suzanne
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 8, 2008
        Very minor addition here... but I just read a brief mention of
        woodcuts for pictures of saints and it reminded me of this thread.

        In "Atlas of Medieval Europe" by Donald Matthew (Facts on File, 1983),
        in the section on The Invention of Printing, it says that "By the late
        14th century with the general availability of paper it became possible
        to produce religious pictures in large quantities by using wood
        blocks, some carrying carved letters." One of the illustrations has
        the following caption:

        "St. Christopher, 1423. This is the second-oldest dated woodcut known
        and illustrates one of its most popular early uses: the multiplication
        of pictures of saints printed on paper to be sold to meet the demand
        for cheap devotional images. It was produced at Buxheim in Bavaria."

        The author seems to think that this industry started in Germany; he
        does not discuss Eastern Europe at all in this section (although
        there's some nice stuff elsewhere in the book about Poland &
        Lithuania). It's not much to go on but making connections is the best
        part of research IMO. :-)

        Susanna

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie (aka Nawojka)" <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        > I've just had the bright idea of making a woodcut. I know almost
        > nothing about it, but did read on some website or other that medieval
        > people (don't know who, when or where) carried woodcuts of saints
        > around. That struck me as a cool idea, so I immediately went to work to
        > find Nawojka a patron saint. I settled on Saint Jadwiga (who was King
        > of Poland.) So, does anyone have any idea what kind of picture I should
        > be making? As far as I know there are no contemporary portraits of her,
        > so that idea is out. The big names in sainthood seem to have items
        > associated with them, like a badge of sorts, but I can't find anything
        > like this associated with Saint Jadwiga.
        > Any clues, anyone?
        > Rosie/ Nawojka

      • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 9, 2008
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Suzanne" <sovagris@...> wrote:

          > Very minor addition here... but I just read a brief mention of
          > woodcuts for pictures of saints and it reminded me of this thread.

          Thank you for that tid-bit, I've filed it away. Unfortunately this
          project has to be put on hold. Morning sickness isn't inspiring...
          :/
          Rosie- saying stuff like "urgh" and "don't feed me that, I know I liked
          it yesterday but I hate it now!"