RE: [sig] Saint Jadwiga

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2008
      Greetings from Sofya to Nawojka

      >I've just had the bright idea of making a woodcut... medieval
      >people (don't know who, when or where) carried woodcuts of saints
      >around... I settled on Saint Jadwiga (who was King
      >of Poland.) So, does anyone have any idea what kind of picture I should
      >be making?
      >
      >Any clues, anyone?

      If you base your woodcut on classic Slavic iconography, I can help. I did a similar project based on Saint Elizabeth of Hungary.

      I researched iconographic images of her in the Western Christian tradition, and modified the themes in them to be compatible with the Eastern iconographic tradition. It wasn't too difficult. The faces are all generic. She's royalty, so she could get a crown. Or you could show her in her nuns vestments. Martyrs usually hold a cross, although she doesn't seem to have been a martry. Etc.

      Depicted in art with the church and a statue of the Virgin Mary in her hands; or washing the feet of the poor; or barefoot with her shoes in her hands; or in a religious habit with the robes and crown of a princess near her (White). Sometimes she is seen holding a picture of the Virgin and Child in her hand or Christ blessing her from the Cross (Roeder). According to http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/1016.shtml

      http://saints.sqpn.com/sainth03.htm

      Oh, cool. She was the aunt of Saint Elizabeth of Hungary.

      At your service,

      Sofya

      Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
    • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
      Message 2 of 8 , May 8, 2008
        > If you base your woodcut on classic Slavic iconography, I can help.
        I did a similar project based on Saint Elizabeth of Hungary.
        > At your service,
        >
        > Sofya

        That is good news and I will appreciate your help! Except I've got
        sidetracked translating a section of a pretty, shiny book on Polish
        heraldry. A worthy diversion I'm sure you'll all agree.
        :)
        Nawojka
        P.S I might have found your problem, Pan Zygmunt! The cross osmorog
        seems to go by another, more proper name. That bit of the book will get
        translated too, since I want some for my device. They're pretty :)
      • Suzanne
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8, 2008
          Very minor addition here... but I just read a brief mention of
          woodcuts for pictures of saints and it reminded me of this thread.

          In "Atlas of Medieval Europe" by Donald Matthew (Facts on File, 1983),
          in the section on The Invention of Printing, it says that "By the late
          14th century with the general availability of paper it became possible
          to produce religious pictures in large quantities by using wood
          blocks, some carrying carved letters." One of the illustrations has
          the following caption:

          "St. Christopher, 1423. This is the second-oldest dated woodcut known
          and illustrates one of its most popular early uses: the multiplication
          of pictures of saints printed on paper to be sold to meet the demand
          for cheap devotional images. It was produced at Buxheim in Bavaria."

          The author seems to think that this industry started in Germany; he
          does not discuss Eastern Europe at all in this section (although
          there's some nice stuff elsewhere in the book about Poland &
          Lithuania). It's not much to go on but making connections is the best
          part of research IMO. :-)

          Susanna

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie (aka Nawojka)" <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

          > Hello All,
          > I've just had the bright idea of making a woodcut. I know almost
          > nothing about it, but did read on some website or other that medieval
          > people (don't know who, when or where) carried woodcuts of saints
          > around. That struck me as a cool idea, so I immediately went to work to
          > find Nawojka a patron saint. I settled on Saint Jadwiga (who was King
          > of Poland.) So, does anyone have any idea what kind of picture I should
          > be making? As far as I know there are no contemporary portraits of her,
          > so that idea is out. The big names in sainthood seem to have items
          > associated with them, like a badge of sorts, but I can't find anything
          > like this associated with Saint Jadwiga.
          > Any clues, anyone?
          > Rosie/ Nawojka

        • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 9, 2008
            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Suzanne" <sovagris@...> wrote:

            > Very minor addition here... but I just read a brief mention of
            > woodcuts for pictures of saints and it reminded me of this thread.

            Thank you for that tid-bit, I've filed it away. Unfortunately this
            project has to be put on hold. Morning sickness isn't inspiring...
            :/
            Rosie- saying stuff like "urgh" and "don't feed me that, I know I liked
            it yesterday but I hate it now!"