Re: [sig] Re: Saint Jadwiga

  • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2008
      Yes, Jadwiga was crowned king.
      Jagiello did in fact inherit the rulership from her as his wife, and the
      Jagellionian dynasty descends from him and his subsequent wives; but
      Jadwiga's father, Louis of Anjou, king of Hungary, did in fact have her
      crowned King.

      --
      -- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
      jenne@...
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2008
        Greetings from Sofya to Nawojka

        >I've just had the bright idea of making a woodcut... medieval
        >people (don't know who, when or where) carried woodcuts of saints
        >around... I settled on Saint Jadwiga (who was King
        >of Poland.) So, does anyone have any idea what kind of picture I should
        >be making?
        >
        >Any clues, anyone?

        If you base your woodcut on classic Slavic iconography, I can help. I did a similar project based on Saint Elizabeth of Hungary.

        I researched iconographic images of her in the Western Christian tradition, and modified the themes in them to be compatible with the Eastern iconographic tradition. It wasn't too difficult. The faces are all generic. She's royalty, so she could get a crown. Or you could show her in her nuns vestments. Martyrs usually hold a cross, although she doesn't seem to have been a martry. Etc.

        Depicted in art with the church and a statue of the Virgin Mary in her hands; or washing the feet of the poor; or barefoot with her shoes in her hands; or in a religious habit with the robes and crown of a princess near her (White). Sometimes she is seen holding a picture of the Virgin and Child in her hand or Christ blessing her from the Cross (Roeder). According to http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/1016.shtml

        http://saints.sqpn.com/sainth03.htm

        Oh, cool. She was the aunt of Saint Elizabeth of Hungary.

        At your service,

        Sofya

        Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
      • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
        Message 3 of 8 , May 8, 2008
          > If you base your woodcut on classic Slavic iconography, I can help.
          I did a similar project based on Saint Elizabeth of Hungary.
          > At your service,
          >
          > Sofya

          That is good news and I will appreciate your help! Except I've got
          sidetracked translating a section of a pretty, shiny book on Polish
          heraldry. A worthy diversion I'm sure you'll all agree.
          :)
          Nawojka
          P.S I might have found your problem, Pan Zygmunt! The cross osmorog
          seems to go by another, more proper name. That bit of the book will get
          translated too, since I want some for my device. They're pretty :)
        • Suzanne
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8, 2008
            Very minor addition here... but I just read a brief mention of
            woodcuts for pictures of saints and it reminded me of this thread.

            In "Atlas of Medieval Europe" by Donald Matthew (Facts on File, 1983),
            in the section on The Invention of Printing, it says that "By the late
            14th century with the general availability of paper it became possible
            to produce religious pictures in large quantities by using wood
            blocks, some carrying carved letters." One of the illustrations has
            the following caption:

            "St. Christopher, 1423. This is the second-oldest dated woodcut known
            and illustrates one of its most popular early uses: the multiplication
            of pictures of saints printed on paper to be sold to meet the demand
            for cheap devotional images. It was produced at Buxheim in Bavaria."

            The author seems to think that this industry started in Germany; he
            does not discuss Eastern Europe at all in this section (although
            there's some nice stuff elsewhere in the book about Poland &
            Lithuania). It's not much to go on but making connections is the best
            part of research IMO. :-)

            Susanna

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie (aka Nawojka)" <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

            > Hello All,
            > I've just had the bright idea of making a woodcut. I know almost
            > nothing about it, but did read on some website or other that medieval
            > people (don't know who, when or where) carried woodcuts of saints
            > around. That struck me as a cool idea, so I immediately went to work to
            > find Nawojka a patron saint. I settled on Saint Jadwiga (who was King
            > of Poland.) So, does anyone have any idea what kind of picture I should
            > be making? As far as I know there are no contemporary portraits of her,
            > so that idea is out. The big names in sainthood seem to have items
            > associated with them, like a badge of sorts, but I can't find anything
            > like this associated with Saint Jadwiga.
            > Any clues, anyone?
            > Rosie/ Nawojka

          • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 9, 2008
              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Suzanne" <sovagris@...> wrote:

              > Very minor addition here... but I just read a brief mention of
              > woodcuts for pictures of saints and it reminded me of this thread.

              Thank you for that tid-bit, I've filed it away. Unfortunately this
              project has to be put on hold. Morning sickness isn't inspiring...
              :/
              Rosie- saying stuff like "urgh" and "don't feed me that, I know I liked
              it yesterday but I hate it now!"