RE: [sig] Re:Viking in Russia

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2008
      Greetings from Sofya!

      There are a couple of different items that get called barmy aka ozherelya.

      The term "barma" usually refers to the wide circular fabric collar, such as was used in the Romanov coronations. I have heard that it is primarily for those of high rank, i.e. royalty, but more for late period than early period. And the evidence is not overwhelming.

      The other item called a "barma" is a necklace with large circular medalions such as those worn by the Russian nobles and Prince Alexander in the movie Alexander Nevskiy. While the fine gold filigree/pearl/enamel examples would have undoubtedly been only for the most wealthy, archeologists have found cheaper knock-off versions of silver, and possibly also pewter/brass. I have a scheme to make an "Awards Barma" along these lines, with a medallion for each award cast out of pewter.

      I can try to find better images for you when I get home.

      At your service,

      Sofya

      Mordok, do you (or anyone else) have a decent description or image
      of barmy? I can't figure if I'm reading about something like the
      bejeweled broad collar or something like the Lancastrian Ses,
      Russian style - and I thought the collar was much higher rank than I
      in the 1220s... Say on?