Re: [sig] Re:Viking in Russia

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30 8:48 AM
      Elevated for being a bird brain?
      THL Isabelle de Foix
      Shire Meridies
      Kingdom of Meridies

       Support your friendly local autistics............I'm one of them.

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30 12:45 PM
        Greetings from Sofya!

        There are a couple of different items that get called barmy aka ozherelya.

        The term "barma" usually refers to the wide circular fabric collar, such as was used in the Romanov coronations. I have heard that it is primarily for those of high rank, i.e. royalty, but more for late period than early period. And the evidence is not overwhelming.

        The other item called a "barma" is a necklace with large circular medalions such as those worn by the Russian nobles and Prince Alexander in the movie Alexander Nevskiy. While the fine gold filigree/pearl/enamel examples would have undoubtedly been only for the most wealthy, archeologists have found cheaper knock-off versions of silver, and possibly also pewter/brass. I have a scheme to make an "Awards Barma" along these lines, with a medallion for each award cast out of pewter.

        I can try to find better images for you when I get home.

        At your service,

        Sofya