Music - garb

  • Kataryna Dragonweaver
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2008
      In my ever expanding quest to find things related to the
      Medieval/Renaissance in the lands of the current Ukrainian area...
      I've stumbled across some interesting pictures of early pictures of lutes:
      http://torban.org/mamai/index.html

      One of the pictures on here is from the Saint Sophia Cathedral in Kiev.
      It's the picture of musicians I musing about a few months ago in the
      clothing post.

      -Kataryna
      (Very happy to know the flute is definitely in use by the culture at
      the time.... now to see if I can pull some possible SCA acceptable
      music from the Ukrainian language side of the equation...)
    • Dee Thompson
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 7, 2008
        > I've stumbled across some interesting pictures of
        > early pictures of lutes:
        > http://torban.org/mamai/index.html
        >
        > One of the pictures on here is from the Saint Sophia
        > Cathedral in Kiev.
        > It's the picture of musicians I musing about a few
        > months ago in the
        > clothing post.
        >
        > -Kataryna

        De-lurking for a moment...
        Do you happen to know off-hand when those pictures
        were painted?
        Because the lutes seem to have carved and inset roses
        in the sound holes. They sort of bear a resemblance
        to "parchment roses", and I've only seen those in
        later period Spanish and Italian lutes.
        (Just thought it was interesting...)
        Fionnuala

        the problem
        with comforting illusions
        is that someone else
        ends up footing the bill
        for your comfort.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2008
          Have you been able to identify the saint that seems to
          be consistantly depicted as a lute-player?
          --Sfandra

          --- Kataryna Dragonweaver
          <kataryna_dragonweaver@...> wrote:

          > In my ever expanding quest to find things related to
          > the
          > Medieval/Renaissance in the lands of the current
          > Ukrainian area...
          > I've stumbled across some interesting pictures of
          > early pictures of lutes:
          > http://torban.org/mamai/index.html
          >
          > One of the pictures on here is from the Saint Sophia
          > Cathedral in Kiev.
          > It's the picture of musicians I musing about a few
          > months ago in the
          > clothing post.
          >
          > -Kataryna
          > (Very happy to know the flute is definitely in use
          > by the culture at
          > the time.... now to see if I can pull some possible
          > SCA acceptable
          > music from the Ukrainian language side of the
          > equation...)

          ******************
          Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
          Haus Von Drakenklaue
          Kingdom of the East
          ******************
          Never 'pearl' your butt.

        • L.M. Kies
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 7, 2008
            I was pondering that very question, myself. I suspect that it's King David who was famous for his musical talents.

            Sofya

            ******************

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7, 2008
              Possible. Is there a connection between King David
              and playing music while someone is prepared for
              burial? Because that's what I'm seeing here: it's the
              same guy, over and over, playing the lute while an
              angel prepares someone's body....
              --Sfandra

              ******************

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
                Do I know when and where... well I'm not 100% since the picture
                seems to have no attribution other then it's file name that states
                Saint Sofia... I assume the cathedral in Kyiv. The pictures look a
                lot like they are part of the same group as the 11th century
                Yaroslav's daughter's ones from the same cathedral shown in many
                costume books on the time/place:
                http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hills333/_2356.htm

                In the various costuming books they also mention a picture of a
                number of musicans which is from the same time; but until now I've
                never been able to track down a picture of them. I think the picture
                from the previous post might be the one mentioned (ergo I decided to
                post). If you think that based on the style of lute holes it's more
                likely from a later date you could be correct... It's hard to say
                since I haven't found a lot of information on that picture aside
                that it existed.

                For a number of frescos/mosaics/paintings in the cathedral go here:
                http://www.galenfrysinger.com/st_sophia_cathedral_kyiv.htm
                or
                http://www.icon-art.info/location.php?
                lng=en&loc_id=148&mode=mos&sort=time&page=1

                -Kataryna
              • Kataryna Dragonweaver
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
                  PS: I'm looking at the picture at the bottom of the page... not the
                  ones above... tho the first picture is called "KamiankaStrumylova-
                  01b" (the one I suspect you are looking at)... which might indicate
                  they are from that location (a village in L'viv).

                  From a this week in history site archive:
                  "Sept. 8 1619: The first known premiere of Yakub Havatovych's two
                  Ukrainian intermedes (short comic or satiric sketches performed
                  between acts of serious plays) is held in Kamianka Strumylova."

                  The place name maybe also written in English (depending which
                  language you are starting from... polish, russian, ukrainian, etc.)
                  as Kamyanka-Strumylova or kamionecki Kamionka Strumi³owa, Kaminka
                  Strumylova, Kamyanka Strumylova.
                  -Kataryna

                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Kataryna Dragonweaver"
                  <kataryna_dragonweaver@...> wrote:

                  > Do I know when and where... well I'm not 100% since the picture
                  > seems to have no attribution other then it's file name that states
                  > Saint Sofia... I assume the cathedral in Kyiv. The pictures look a
                  > lot like they are part of the same group as the 11th century
                  > Yaroslav's daughter's ones from the same cathedral shown in many
                  > costume books on the time/place:

                  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hills333/_2356.htm

                  > In the various costuming books they also mention a picture of a
                  > number of musicans which is from the same time; but until now I've
                  > never been able to track down a picture of them. I think the
                  picture
                  > from the previous post might be the one mentioned (ergo I decided
                  > post). If you think that based on the style of lute holes it's
                  more
                  > likely from a later date you could be correct... It's hard to say
                  > since I haven't found a lot of information on that picture aside
                  > that it existed.
                  >
                  > For a number of frescos/mosaics/paintings in the cathedral go here:
                  > http://www.galenfrysinger.com/st_sophia_cathedral_kyiv.htm
                  > or
                  > http://www.icon-art.info/location.php?
                  > lng=en&loc_id=148&mode=mos&sort=time&page=1
                  >
                  > -Kataryna

                • Iustin Branov
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 21, 2008
                    Yes!

                    Typically, in Russian Orthodox practice, the Psalter
                    is read over a dead body as it lay in the temple
                    between bringing it in and the funeral. If a priest
                    or bishop, the Gospel is read. This practice carries
                    over to the Holy Week services, in which the psalter
                    is read in front of Christ's "tomb" from the end of
                    Holy Saturday Matins (sung on Holy Friday evening)
                    until the vesperal Liturgy on Holy Saturday morning.
                    And looking at the lutist, that is certainly in
                    keeping with typical iconographic depiction of King
                    David.

                    K Tvoim Uslugam,
                    Iustin

                    Pomestnik Iustin Branov, among the Greeks Kyrios Iustinos o Roussos
                    mka Justin Griffing
                    Apprentice to Mistress Mirabel Belchere
                    Pursuivant, Shire of Mt. Freehold
                    Shire of Mt. Freehold, East Kingdom