Re: Polish Surnames

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
      The small text under the title is 'Pod redakcj{a,} i ze wst{e,}pem
      Witolda Taszyckiego.'

      (Yahoo groups gets picky about the diacritics, {a,} is a-ogonek, {e,}
      is e-ogonek.)

      So, poltran.com says it is 'Edited by and with admission Witolda
      Taszyckiego'
      I'd be tempted to add in 'with admission of,' which would put it in
      the genitive case.
      I found a website with some information about how names change in the
      male, singular, genetive case, and it does seem that Witold would
      become Witolda. The -ego ending of Taszyckiego also looks like it's
      the male, single, genitive of Taszycki.
      ( http://www.halgal.com/langofrecord.html )

      Hope that helps, but as I've said numerous times in this thread I know
      very little about Polish grammar. I just know where all the
      interesting books are kept. :)

      ~Asfridhr

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Suzanne" <sovagris@...> wrote:

      > BTW, how & where does the author's name appear on the title page?
      If it's printed as "The
      > Dictionary of Old Polish Personal Names, of Witold Taszycki"
      (meaning compiled by W. T.)
      > then would it be in the whaddaya-call-it... generative case? And
      thus spelled as
      > Rosie/Nawojka has said, but meaning the name as given in the first
      citation?

      > Sorry, mundanely I'm a librarian and my cataloger's antennae flipped
      up on this one. ;-)

      > Susanna
    • Suzanne
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
        "I just know where all the
        > interesting books are kept. :)
        >
        > ~Asfridhr"

        Now that's a tag line if ever I heard one!

        Thanks for the explanation -- I thought it was something like that, but couldn't for the life
        of me remember the proper name for that case. (OK, so it's been, like, 30 years since I
        was at university.)

        I feel better now. ;-)
        Susanna