Re: New photos

  • Carthell, Ed (B/TEC Ltd.)
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
      Thank you I Richard I have been working on this kit for years and it is now coming together. I could not pass up taking the photos in the snow we had last week end. Got up to find 8 in on the ground Saturdays morning.

      Edward Ean Anderson

      Ed Carthell
      Structural Designer
      Phone (503) 553-8387

      Those are brilliant your Earlship.

      You have captured the 'Ren era' hussar with the single mounted wing.

      Well done! Thank you for posting.

      Richard
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
        Just a pun on my Russianess in this sea of Noble
        Poles! The False Dmitri who led the Poles into Russia
        during The Time of Truobles in 1604! I watched an
        excellent movie about those times at Zigmunts a few
        weeks ago!
        'dok
        --- "Carthell, Ed (B/TEC Ltd.)"
        <ed.carthell@...> wrote:

        > Please excuse my ignorance what is Dmitri I know of
        > people with the name Dmitri. Is it a event? Thank
        > you for understanding
        >
        > Ed Carthell
        > Structural Designer
        > Phone (503) 553-8387
        >
        > Your Grace, that is an awesome kit! Think your
        > persona
        > will participate in a little armed tourism east with
        > Dmitri in a couple years? My comrades and I were
        > just
        > wondering....
        > YIS,
        > Boiarin Mordok Timofeivich Rostovskogo, OL, MK

        Best Regards,
        'dok

      • Suzanne
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
          Magnificent. And some of us would like to know more about your horses, too. :-)

          Susanna

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Carthell, Ed (B/TEC Ltd.)" <ed.carthell@...> wrote:

          > Thank you I Richard I have been working on this kit for years and it is now coming
          together. I could not pass up taking the photos in the snow we had last week end. Got up
          to find 8 in on the ground Saturdays morning.

          > Edward Ean Anderson
          >
          > Ed Carthell
          > Structural Designer
          > Phone (503) 553-8387
          >
          > Those are brilliant your Earlship.
          >
          > You have captured the 'Ren era' hussar with the single mounted wing.
          >
          > Well done! Thank you for posting.
          >
          > Richard

        • "BRYAN" Frank Douglas
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
            The photos are great!!

            I am new to the group. ( just got and lost my snail mail letter, think
            my number was 714) me and my lady Kahtarzyna Bathory, are new to the
            group. it is good to see other Hussar.
            I will down load some of our pics in a Calantir folder. Our little
            group does Ren fairs and SCA.
          • Carthell, Ed (B/TEC Ltd.)
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 2, 2008
              Thank you for your complements. The saddle that you see is one of the Spanish saddles "Portuguesa" I was able to get it on eBay. It was not that expensive. It is the same saddle that was used in the 16th and 17th c. I have seen many paintings with that type of saddle in them. If you get one, I recommend taking it apart and checking the cinch and stirrups attachment points. I had the stirrups attachments fail in a champion's tournament and cost me the tournament. I agree after seeing many saddles while I was in Poland. I have many photos that I am working on trying to sort and post. I attached a brass holder to the back of the cantle that holds the wing. It is slips fit so that I can mount then have the wing put on because mounting with the wing is very difficult to say the least.

              Advice keep working and having fun that is all that matters.

              Are you going to be and the west cost any time in the future? I was able to view and take photos of the Stockholm roll but I cannot put them up or share them. However, you could see them if you are going to be out here. They are amazing and the colors and details are great. It was amazing to be able to view the roll up close with glass or things in the way. That was the greatest moment of the trip to be allowed in the back room and see it.

              Ed Carthell
              Structural Designer
              Phone (503) 553-8387

              Excellent job, Your Excellency.

              This is a very long term project I am planning as well - a Bathory-era
              hussar kit.

              I do have a few questions however.

              What kind of saddle are you using? If it's not a home made hussar saddle,
              which is closest to the ones the hussars used then, and why did you make the
              choices you did?**
              How did you attach the wing to the cantle?

              ** - I have heard, from members of our EQ community here, and in Trimaris &
              Atlantia [non-SCAdians, that's the Midwest and the areas stretching from
              Georgia, Fla., Md, etc - see http://www.sca.org/geography/welcome.html%5d, that
              the McClellan is very close to photos I have of extant hussar saddles. But
              after my own examination of photos of extant saddles, I think that a
              Peruvian saddle is actually much closer. What do you think?

              Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated. :)
              --
              Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski