Re: New photos

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2008
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:

      > Photos section under Earl Edward

      Those are brilliant your Earlship.

      You have captured the 'Ren era' hussar with the single mounted wing.

      Well done! Thank you for posting.

      Richard
    • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
        Excellent job, Your Excellency.

        This is a very long term project I am planning as well - a Bathory-era
        hussar kit.

        I do have a few questions however.

        What kind of saddle are you using? If it's not a home made hussar saddle,
        which is closest to the ones the hussars used then, and why did you make the
        choices you did?**
        How did you attach the wing to the cantle?

        ** - I have heard, from members of our EQ community here, and in Trimaris &
        Atlantia [non-SCAdians, that's the Midwest and the areas stretching from
        Georgia, Fla., Md, etc - see http://www.sca.org/geography/welcome.html%5d, that
        the McClellan is very close to photos I have of extant hussar saddles. But
        after my own examination of photos of extant saddles, I think that a
        Peruvian saddle is actually much closer. What do you think?

        Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated. :)
        --
        Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
        "To rip the ugly, false, and weak from my soul and hurl it into hell. To

      • Carthell, Ed (B/TEC Ltd.)
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
          Please excuse my ignorance what is Dmitri I know of people with the name Dmitri. Is it a event? Thank you for understanding

          Ed Carthell
          Structural Designer
          Phone (503) 553-8387

          Your Grace, that is an awesome kit! Think your persona
          will participate in a little armed tourism east with
          Dmitri in a couple years? My comrades and I were just
          wondering....
          YIS,
          Boiarin Mordok Timofeivich Rostovskogo, OL, MK
        • Carthell, Ed (B/TEC Ltd.)
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
            Thank you I Richard I have been working on this kit for years and it is now coming together. I could not pass up taking the photos in the snow we had last week end. Got up to find 8 in on the ground Saturdays morning.

            Edward Ean Anderson

            Ed Carthell
            Structural Designer
            Phone (503) 553-8387

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
              Just a pun on my Russianess in this sea of Noble
              Poles! The False Dmitri who led the Poles into Russia
              during The Time of Truobles in 1604! I watched an
              excellent movie about those times at Zigmunts a few
              weeks ago!
              'dok
              --- "Carthell, Ed (B/TEC Ltd.)"
              <ed.carthell@...> wrote:

              > Please excuse my ignorance what is Dmitri I know of
              > people with the name Dmitri. Is it a event? Thank
              > you for understanding
              >
              > Ed Carthell
              > Structural Designer
              > Phone (503) 553-8387
              >
              > Your Grace, that is an awesome kit! Think your
              > persona
              > will participate in a little armed tourism east with
              > Dmitri in a couple years? My comrades and I were
              > just
              > wondering....
              > YIS,
              > Boiarin Mordok Timofeivich Rostovskogo, OL, MK

              Best Regards,
              'dok

            • Suzanne
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
                Magnificent. And some of us would like to know more about your horses, too. :-)

                Susanna

                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Carthell, Ed (B/TEC Ltd.)" <ed.carthell@...> wrote:

                > Thank you I Richard I have been working on this kit for years and it is now coming
                together. I could not pass up taking the photos in the snow we had last week end. Got up
                to find 8 in on the ground Saturdays morning.

                > Edward Ean Anderson
                >
                > Ed Carthell
                > Structural Designer
                > Phone (503) 553-8387
                >
                > Those are brilliant your Earlship.
                >
                > You have captured the 'Ren era' hussar with the single mounted wing.
                >
                > Well done! Thank you for posting.
                >
                > Richard

              • "BRYAN" Frank Douglas
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2008
                  The photos are great!!

                  I am new to the group. ( just got and lost my snail mail letter, think
                  my number was 714) me and my lady Kahtarzyna Bathory, are new to the
                  group. it is good to see other Hussar.
                  I will down load some of our pics in a Calantir folder. Our little
                  group does Ren fairs and SCA.
                • Carthell, Ed (B/TEC Ltd.)
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 2, 2008
                    Thank you for your complements. The saddle that you see is one of the Spanish saddles "Portuguesa" I was able to get it on eBay. It was not that expensive. It is the same saddle that was used in the 16th and 17th c. I have seen many paintings with that type of saddle in them. If you get one, I recommend taking it apart and checking the cinch and stirrups attachment points. I had the stirrups attachments fail in a champion's tournament and cost me the tournament. I agree after seeing many saddles while I was in Poland. I have many photos that I am working on trying to sort and post. I attached a brass holder to the back of the cantle that holds the wing. It is slips fit so that I can mount then have the wing put on because mounting with the wing is very difficult to say the least.

                    Advice keep working and having fun that is all that matters.

                    Are you going to be and the west cost any time in the future? I was able to view and take photos of the Stockholm roll but I cannot put them up or share them. However, you could see them if you are going to be out here. They are amazing and the colors and details are great. It was amazing to be able to view the roll up close with glass or things in the way. That was the greatest moment of the trip to be allowed in the back room and see it.

                    Ed Carthell
                    Structural Designer
                    Phone (503) 553-8387