RE: [sig] Russian songs

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22, 2008

      http://russiansig.wikispaces.com/Music%2C+Dance%2C+and+Literature
      http://www.biu.ac.il/HU/mu/min-ad02/ritzarev.html
      http://www.public-domain-content.com/books/legends_and_sagas/srp/srp00.shtml

      http://www.kaikracht.de/balalaika/english/songs/ (has a few mistakes in the translations and transliterations)
      http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=46265&messages=105
      http://ingeb.org/catru.html

      As has already been pointed out, we have essentially no secular songs from period. The texts of a handful of songs were recorded by English ambassador Richard James from 1619-20. But there are clues to help find songs that are _plausibly_ period. Avoid songs with an obviously post-period author/composer (Pushkin has some lovely songs out there). Be suspicious of songs that rhyme like Western nursery rhymes. Be careful of songs with possibly post-period subjects - Peter the Great, troikas, Cossacks, street lamps, etc. Keep your fingers crossed. ;-)

      Sofya

      Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser