The feminine voevoda problem Re: [sig] Russian Alternate Titles Revision

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2008
      Options I have found so far: voevodka, voevodikha, voevoditsa, voevodina, voevodsha

      Voevodka - All three of the period/near period examples of the term that I have now found clearly refer to MEN. This complements my quick survey of Wickenden that verifies that the majority of names ending in -ka were men's names in period (but is this due to sampling bias?).

      Voevodikha - name of a Ukrainian [?] village. Title given for the wife of Prince Dmitri Shuisky (Time of Troubles) in a modern article by Yu. Turandin. Used in lots of historical fiction.

      Voevoditsa - title used in an article about 1300s Bulgarian history, and another about 1500s Belarus. Parallel construction to tsaritsa, masteritsa, etc.

      Voevodina - feminine patronymic in Wickenden - Natas'ia Fedorova zhena Voevodina. (Follows standard grammar rules for construction of a feminine patronymic from a masculine name ending in -a, per Wickenden.)

      Voevodsha - wife of voevoda per Dal (alternate of voevodka). Used in a Russian translation of the Diary of Marina Mnishek, the Polish wife of False Dmitri in the Time of Troubles. Also given as the correct feminine form of voevoda in Chapter 5 of Lomosov's Russian Grammar, written in 1755.

      Interesting...

      Sofya

      Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser