Polish Book

  • kevin purtrell
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 13, 2008
      Has anyone read this:?

      Title: The orient in Polish art :
      catalogue of the exhibition, June - October 1992,
      National Museum in Cracow /
      Author(s): Biedronska-Slotowa, Beata.
      Malcharek, Krystyna.
      Szyper, Barbara.
      Publication: Cracow : National Museum,
      Year: 1992
      Language: English

      Its not available through Inter-Library Loan. Amazon does have a copy for $35.00
      Is it worth buying?

      -Kevin Ambrozijwski

      Katherine Barich <wheezul@...> wrote:
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

      > Just out of curiosity, is there any evidence of Poulaines in Poland
      > before they reached western Europe? Is there any evidence for the
      > poulaine-style of shoe from that at all?
      >
      > I couldn't find anything about it in the archives.
      >
      > Also, is there much evidence for pattens/trippe/clogs/over-sandals in
      > Eastern Europe? There is a bast sandal from 10th century Latvia which
      > might be a sort of overshoe, or something more akin to a Russian
      > peasants' lapti, but I don't know of anything else.
      >
      > Would anyone more knowledgeable about footwear be able to help?
      > ~Asfridhr

      Hi again Asfridhr,

      I just have run across an article that might shed some light on your
      question about poulaines/crackowes.

      "Cracows, Poulaines and Polony Fashion" by June Swann, in "Crossroads
      of Costume and Textiles in Poland, Papers from the International
      Conference of the ICOM Costume Committee at the National Museum in
      Cracow, September 28 - October 4, 2003", Edited by Beata Biedronska-
      Slotowa. National Museum in Cracow, publisher, 2005.

      Apparently June Swann has been studying the cracow/poulaine question
      for over 50(!) years, and making her first visit to Poland in 2000
      asked further questions. She says: "Though the crackow/poulaine style
      actually starts ca. 1340 in Poland, and so after 1350 in England, the
      first written references I have found to the words are ca. 1362
      ('turned-up toes a finger long, called crackows'). She concludes that
      the word crackow/poulaine actually only referred to the long toe
      portion, but I don't think she really has the answer to why the shoes
      were so named in the West.

      She also provides a listing of period citations that quoted the words
      poulaine, crackowe, polony heel and Polish boots (and those metal
      horseshoe heels). These citations list the sources but are a bit
      frustratingly incomplete. For example, you might like to find the
      cited article "Pattens from Pyrzyce and Medieval Shoe Fashion" by M.
      Gutkowska-Rychlewska but she doesn't list the publication in which the
      article appears.

      Three other small notes - Gutkowska-Rychlewska is quoted: "poulaine
      has a second meaning of ship prow". Dr. Beata Slotowa, Krackow
      Costume Curator is quoted regarding poulaines: "Fourteenth-fifteenth
      century shoes in Poland were in west European styles; some of them
      bought there. The fashion did not originate in Eastern Europe." And
      lastly, a French inventory states: "chausses...à longues poulaines de
      balaine" indicating that the toes may have been held up with whalebone.

      Katherine