Re:I need help documenting this picture?

  • Suzanne
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 11, 2008
      Sorry, I don't recognize the book this came from. But a rough
      translation of the captions would be, (at the top) "illustration 134.
      Kiev-style kaftan. Family of Svyatoslav." and (at the bottom) "9
      Russian historic costume".

      Good luck!
      Susanna
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 11, 2008
        They used it in the first Russian Qspery men at arms
        book. Have you asked Sofya La Rus yet?
        --- Suzanne <sovagris@...> wrote:

        > Sorry, I don't recognize the book this came from.
        > But a rough
        > translation of the captions would be, (at the top)
        > "illustration 134.
        > Kiev-style kaftan. Family of Svyatoslav." and (at
        > the bottom) "9
        > Russian historic costume".
        >
        > Good luck!
        > Susanna

        Best Regards,
        'dok

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Kataryna Dragonweaver
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 11, 2008
          I have the reference in the russian costuming book that I happen to
          have a work with me.
          I don't read Russian but the date on the picture is 1027-1076. I can
          post a scan of the notes below the picture in ~3hrs (lunch) - if
          someone else can translate.
          -Kataryna
          PS: I suspect it's from a psalter of some sort (or some other book
          from the time)

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Kinyon" <mamalynx@...> wrote:

          > http://costume.mashaholl.com/images/Semeistvo_Iaroslava.JPG
          >
          > Can anyone give me information on specifically where this picture is
          > from ? I am doing some documentation and need it for completion.
          >
          > Thank You
          > Lady Marija

        • Kataryna Dragonweaver
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 11, 2008
            Hi,

            I have a copy of the book Russian Historical Costume (For stage) that
            the picture originally came from.... and the picture is on page 8 in my
            copy... but it could be page nine in others... this one has been rebound
            by the library it's from.

            I'll post my scan of the picture from the actual book, and the
            surrounding text... significantly more text then your picture has.

            Hope some one on the list can help you translate.

            [:)]

            -Kataryna

          • wheezul@canby.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 11, 2008
              I'm interested in looking at the book. Is it possible to list the name
              and author of the book please?

              Thanks!

              Katherine

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 11, 2008
                Forwarded from East Kingdom list:

                Pennsic University is now on the air! Teachers may now
                register their classes. Go to www.pennsicwar.org and
                follow the A&S link to Pennsic University.

                Mistress Jessa d'Avondale
                PennsicWar.org webmaster

                ******************
                Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                Haus Von Drakenklaue
                Kingdom of the East
                ******************
                Never 'pearl' your butt.

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • Patoodle@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 11, 2008
                  Thanks for forwarding that, Sfandra!

                  I would like to ask people on this list two questions:

                  1) If you were at Pennsic, would you actually go to a class titled something like "Lithuania: The Biggest Medieval Country You May Never Have Heard Of"?

                  2) If so, what would you like the class to cover?

                  What I'm thinking so far is 3-5 minutes of introduction (asking the students what they already know about Lithuania), 20 minutes of the history of Lithuania and the Baltic region (the two are intertwined), 20 minutes for tips on how to make your persona more Lithuanian (garb, jewelry, etc.) and 5 minutes of general discussion. (The Pennsic U guidelines say that a one-hour class should actually last 50-55 minutes.)

                  What does everybody think?

                  And yes, Asfridhr, you would get class notes, although most of the materials probably will have come from you anyway! :-)

                  Thanks in advance,
                  Lady Patricia of Trakai
                  Kingdom of Atlantia

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 12, 2008
                    --- Patoodle@... wrote:

                    > Thanks for forwarding that, Sfandra!
                    >
                    > I would like to ask people on this list two
                    > questions:
                    >
                    > 1) If you were at Pennsic, would you actually go to
                    > a class titled something like "Lithuania: The
                    > Biggest Medieval Country You May Never Have Heard
                    > Of"?

                    That title alone might draw you some audience! :-D

                    I might. I know nothing about Lithuania except the
                    Teutonic Knights came from there (I think...;D )

                    I would expect an overview of the history and
                    significant bits of cultural information: religion,
                    major industries, most closely tied to *(germany?)* by
                    language/culture/treaty, etc etc.

                    --Sfandra

                    ******************
                    Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                    Haus Von Drakenklaue
                    Kingdom of the East
                    ******************
                    Never 'pearl' your butt.

                    Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                  • Gloryanna MacKee
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 12, 2008
                      Man I am so interested in this but won't be at Pennsic this year due to finances and my whole household not going. I would love any info on this if anyone want to share.

                      Gloryanna

                      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
                      From: seonaid13@...
                      Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 05:45:57 -0700
                      Subject: Re: [sig] Pennsic U - class on Lithuania?

                      --- Patoodle@... wrote:

                      > Thanks for forwarding that, Sfandra!

                      > I would like to ask people on this list two

                      > questions:

                      > 1) If you were at Pennsic, would you actually go to

                      > a class titled something like "Lithuania: The

                      > Biggest Medieval Country You May Never Have Heard

                      > Of"?

                      That title alone might draw you some audience! :-D

                      I might. I know nothing about Lithuania except the

                      Teutonic Knights came from there (I think...;D )

                      I would expect an overview of the history and

                      significant bits of cultural information: religion,

                      major industries, most closely tied to *(germany?)* by

                      language/culture/treaty, etc etc.

                      --Sfandra

                      ******************

                      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova

                      Haus Von Drakenklaue

                      Kingdom of the East

                      ******************

                      Never 'pearl' your butt.

                      Looking for last minute shopping deals?

                    • Laima
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 13, 2008
                        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

                        > I might. I know nothing about Lithuania except the
                        > Teutonic Knights came from there (I think...;D )

                        Got sent back, you mean. :)
                        Except for Samogitia - the Lithuanians held off the Teutonic Knights.

                        It's an awesome, and unexpected history - if I ever went to Pennsic,
                        I'd take the class. Sorry I won't be there.
                        I'm really curious about sources for Lithuanian garb - I haven't
                        really been able to find much on that...?

                        Laima