Re: [sig] Re: Random sharing

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
      > > Thanks to Netflix, I watched "Alexander Nevsky"
      > for
      > > the first time the other night.
      > > --Sfandra
      >
      > Is this the film that is all black and white or is
      > this the film with
      > the color sequence (in the middle)?
      >
      > Richard

      All B&W 1938. I was intrigued by the clear political
      parallel being drawn between the German Knights then
      and the Nazis in the late 38s. But then I stopped
      paying attention to the (well known to me) storyline
      and started droolling over garb... pulled out the
      notebook, started sketching.... cheered for the Maid
      of Pskov who got mailled-up and fought.. so on and so
      forth.

      :D
      --Sfandra
      --also an auth'd SCA fighter....

      ******************
      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      Haus Von Drakenklaue
      Kingdom of the East
      ******************
      Never 'pearl' your butt.

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • T Duran
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
        On 3/3/08, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

        > cheered for the Maid
        > of Pskov who got mailled-up and fought..

        Vasilisa (*swoon*). Friends of my in-laws knew the actress who
        played her, but unfortunately she passed away before I could cadge an
        autograph.

        We watched this in my high school Russian class & discussing the
        "special effects" for the Battle on the Ice. For some sequences, the
        ice platforms were made from painted plywood, mounted on casters to
        make them glide along. The water was maybe four inches deep, and they
        dyed it with black ink to get it to look right on film.

        --Kazimira
      • Richard
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "T Duran" <sazabhadri@...> wrote:

          > On 3/3/08, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
          >
          > > cheered for the Maid
          > > of Pskov who got mailled-up and fought..
          >
          > Vasilisa (*swoon*). Friends of my in-laws knew the actress who
          > played her, but unfortunately she passed away before I could cadge an
          > autograph.

          I have been able to see this movie on ch 35 U.C.S.D. in San Diego.

          Has a good medieval feel.

          Richard