Re: [sig] Planning for Pennsic

  • aldo
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 20, 2008
      If there is any chance for myself to participate Pensic I would be glad to talk about following topic:
      THE IMPORTANCE OF THE RUSSIAN FOREST PRODUCTS FOR THE PROGRESS OF MEDIEVAL EUROPE
      Novgorod the Great, the trade over the South route thru the Venetians and the Genoese, the trade over the Baltic Sea thru the Hanse, the importance of the Khazar ethics in doing business over al-Andalus and
      SLAVES, FURS, HONEY, WAX etc.
      What dyou think? Could it match the expectations? In any case the talk would not take longer than 40 minutes in one session and the rest of the time (up to 60 min.) talking with the audience.
      Let me know and give me a help how to reach Pensic flying from Italy to the USA.
      Aldo
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 21, 2008
        If I'm at Pennsic I would. I still need to coordinate
        with my Lady and my brother about a visit, his
        departure date, etc. because we don't want to visit
        close to when they leave, since that will be hectic!
        I'l probably resolve this all in the next few days!
        YIS!
        'dok

        Best Regards,
        'dok

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • Paul W Goldschmidt
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 21, 2008
          Hi Aldo,

          You would probably just want to set the class at an hour (not too
          many classes run longer).

          Your airport in the USA would be Pittsburgh (Airport Code = PIT). It
          is served by several major US carriers (most particularly
          USAir). From Italy, you might need to enter through Philadelphia,
          Washington, or New York, although there will be many options. From
          the airport, there is a shuttle service that is fairly inexpensive.

          The bigger issues would involve packing camping gear. Hotels are
          probably already booked in the vicinity, so you would need to do what
          99% of the populace does: find a group to camp with and either bring
          camping supplies or get that group to help you. You may wish to
          contact SCA members in Italy for advice on how they do it.

          -- Paul

          At 01:05 AM 2/21/2008, you wrote:
          >What dyou think? Could it match the expectations? In any case the
          >talk would not take longer than 40 minutes in one session and the
          >rest of the time (up to 60 min.) talking with the audience.
          >Let me know and give me a help how to reach Pensic flying from Italy
          >to the USA.
          >Aldo
        • aldo
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 21, 2008
            This I find in order with me, as soon as u fix dates places etc. No problem in joining camping groups and bringing along camping "tackle". Anyhow could u give me the coordinates to contact SCA members here in Europe? If in Italy it would be great! Yes, usually I talk for 40 min. No longer! The rest I leave for questions from the audience.

            At 01:05 AM 2/21/2008, you wrote:
            >What dyou think? Could it match the expectations? In any case the
            >talk would not take longer than 40 minutes in one session and the
            >rest of the time (up to 60 min.) talking with the audience.
            >Let me know and give me a help how to reach Pensic flying from Italy
            >to the USA.
            >Aldo

          • Paul W Goldschmidt
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 21, 2008
              The dates and information about Pennsic are available here:

              http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn37/

              I do not see information about signing up to teach classes yet, but
              it will be posted here.

              For contact information for the SCA groups in Italy, go to:

              http://www.drachenwald.sca.org/Regnum/italy.php

              -- Paul

            • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 21, 2008
                I could teach either the Herbs of Eastern Europe class, or the Food and
                Drink of Eastern Europe class, again, if I hear that people are interested
                in taking them.

                --
                -- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
                jenne@...
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 29, 2008
                  Thanks to Netflix, I watched "Alexander Nevsky" for
                  the first time the other night.

                  My oh my is that movie inspirational! Took me twice
                  as long to get through it, because I kept backing it
                  up to get a better look at the embroidery... the
                  costumes... the maille... etc etc etc.... :D :D

                  Terrible script, terrible acting of course, but My oh
                  my is it PRETTY....

                  --Sfandra

                  ******************
                  Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                  Haus Von Drakenklaue
                  Kingdom of the East
                  ******************
                  Never 'pearl' your butt.

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and
                • Robert Lewis
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 29, 2008
                    Another fun one is the 2 part Ivan the Terrible. Eisenstein was just an
                    incredible director, easily a match for any one out of Hollywood, yes he was
                    handicapped by having to make something Stalin would approve of, but still
                    an incredible director.

                    Ivan

                  • Sam W
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 29, 2008
                      Oh yes! And so much coat-envy...

                      ~Kotek

                      On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Robert Lewis <lci115lewis@...> wrote:

                      > Another fun one is the 2 part Ivan the Terrible. Eisenstein was just an
                      > incredible director, easily a match for any one out of Hollywood, yes he
                      > was
                      > handicapped by having to make something Stalin would approve of, but still
                      > an incredible director.
                      >
                      > Ivan

                    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 29, 2008
                        Ergm.
                        Eisenstein is a world-class director, a tradition-maker for world cinema in 20s and 30s, not just " a match for anyone in Hollywood".

                        Btw, Alexander Nevsky is considered one of his successes. And:
                        Guys, have you ever heard that the Hollywood tradition is based on the school of acting by Mikhail Chekhov, while the Soviet cinema was made on the Stanislavsky system. They are just _different_ schols of actor's and director's thought applied for cinema and theater, not just "one's better than the other". As well you can call "traditionally poor the acting in, say, well-known mute films by Murnau - Nosferatu, or Golem.

                        BTW, speaking of "poor this or that" - do you know that someSoviet films were re-edited in the US?
                        The 23-year-old Fransis Ford Coppola performed something I can call only transformation of a fairy movie into brainelss crap, the Bylina-based Sadko was re-edited into "The *** voyage of Sindbad",
                        Another Bylina-based movie, Ilya Muromets, was, ergm, - positioned as heroic fantasy and issued as category B under the name of (!!!) "Dragonslayers". Remember this when you judge a disc with some "soviet crap". The crap may have long been world cinema classics.

                        > Another fun one is the 2 part Ivan the Terrible. Eisenstein was just an
                        > incredible director, easily a match for any one out of Hollywood, yes he was
                        > handicapped by having to make something Stalin would approve of, but still
                        > an incredible director.
                        >
                        > Ivan

                      • Richard
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 1, 2008
                          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks to Netflix, I watched "Alexander Nevsky" for
                          > the first time the other night.
                          >
                          > My oh my is that movie inspirational! Took me twice
                          > as long to get through it, because I kept backing it
                          > up to get a better look at the embroidery... the
                          > costumes... the maille... etc etc etc.... :D :D
                          >
                          > Terrible script, terrible acting of course, but My oh
                          > my is it PRETTY....
                          >
                          > --Sfandra

                          Is this the film that is all black and white or is this the film with
                          the color sequence (in the middle)?

                          Richard
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
                            > > Thanks to Netflix, I watched "Alexander Nevsky"
                            > for
                            > > the first time the other night.
                            > > --Sfandra
                            >
                            > Is this the film that is all black and white or is
                            > this the film with
                            > the color sequence (in the middle)?
                            >
                            > Richard

                            All B&W 1938. I was intrigued by the clear political
                            parallel being drawn between the German Knights then
                            and the Nazis in the late 38s. But then I stopped
                            paying attention to the (well known to me) storyline
                            and started droolling over garb... pulled out the
                            notebook, started sketching.... cheered for the Maid
                            of Pskov who got mailled-up and fought.. so on and so
                            forth.

                            :D
                            --Sfandra
                            --also an auth'd SCA fighter....

                            ******************
                            Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                            Haus Von Drakenklaue
                            Kingdom of the East
                            ******************
                            Never 'pearl' your butt.

                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          • T Duran
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
                              On 3/3/08, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

                              > cheered for the Maid
                              > of Pskov who got mailled-up and fought..

                              Vasilisa (*swoon*). Friends of my in-laws knew the actress who
                              played her, but unfortunately she passed away before I could cadge an
                              autograph.

                              We watched this in my high school Russian class & discussing the
                              "special effects" for the Battle on the Ice. For some sequences, the
                              ice platforms were made from painted plywood, mounted on casters to
                              make them glide along. The water was maybe four inches deep, and they
                              dyed it with black ink to get it to look right on film.

                              --Kazimira
                            • Richard
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 2, 2008
                                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "T Duran" <sazabhadri@...> wrote:

                                > On 3/3/08, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > cheered for the Maid
                                > > of Pskov who got mailled-up and fought..
                                >
                                > Vasilisa (*swoon*). Friends of my in-laws knew the actress who
                                > played her, but unfortunately she passed away before I could cadge an
                                > autograph.

                                I have been able to see this movie on ch 35 U.C.S.D. in San Diego.

                                Has a good medieval feel.

                                Richard