Re: [sig] Baskir?

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14, 2008
      Greetings.

      Bashkiria is the eastern neighbor of the region I come from.
      The Bashkir are the Turkic people, their land is indeed in the eastern Urals, see googlemaps for Ufa city etc. Or on the other hand - they are the easternmost Turks of the Volga region. They are spread from the South Urals (Oranburg/Orsk/Chelyabinsk) to East Urals (Ufa, Salavat).
      Ethimology: Bash + Kort/Hort (the people's name is Bashkir, but their land is called BASHKORTostan) - "Wolfheads"
      BUT
      They took the name from the non-Turcic people that lived in the region before the conquest.
      Hope that helps.

      Bye,
      Alex