Baskir?

  • John Kowal
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14 3:13 PM
      Whoops sorry about the header I should have changed it,
      avl
      On 14-Feb-08, at 5:05 PM, John Kowal wrote:

      > Greetings All;
      > A friend was asking about Bashkirs are from the Urals. Does anyone on
      > the list have any info on these people. Thank You.
      > AVL

    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14 10:24 PM
        Greetings.

        Bashkiria is the eastern neighbor of the region I come from.
        The Bashkir are the Turkic people, their land is indeed in the eastern Urals, see googlemaps for Ufa city etc. Or on the other hand - they are the easternmost Turks of the Volga region. They are spread from the South Urals (Oranburg/Orsk/Chelyabinsk) to East Urals (Ufa, Salavat).
        Ethimology: Bash + Kort/Hort (the people's name is Bashkir, but their land is called BASHKORTostan) - "Wolfheads"
        BUT
        They took the name from the non-Turcic people that lived in the region before the conquest.
        Hope that helps.

        Bye,
        Alex