Re: [sig] Interesting find

  • Kseniia Smolnianina
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 12 1:18 PM
      In case folks want it, here's the original article that Peter is
      summarizing: http://pskovarheolog.ru/68.html

      And here's Sofya's translation of it:
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PskovTranslation.html

      Just trying to get all the links in one place. :)

      --Kseniia

      --
      **********************************
      Kseniia Smolnianina, JdL
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14 3:05 PM
        Greetings All;
        A friend was asking about Bashkirs are from the Urals. Does anyone on
        the list have any info on these people. Thank You.
        AVL
      • John Kowal
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14 3:13 PM
          Whoops sorry about the header I should have changed it,
          avl
          On 14-Feb-08, at 5:05 PM, John Kowal wrote:

          > Greetings All;
          > A friend was asking about Bashkirs are from the Urals. Does anyone on
          > the list have any info on these people. Thank You.
          > AVL

        • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14 10:24 PM
            Greetings.

            Bashkiria is the eastern neighbor of the region I come from.
            The Bashkir are the Turkic people, their land is indeed in the eastern Urals, see googlemaps for Ufa city etc. Or on the other hand - they are the easternmost Turks of the Volga region. They are spread from the South Urals (Oranburg/Orsk/Chelyabinsk) to East Urals (Ufa, Salavat).
            Ethimology: Bash + Kort/Hort (the people's name is Bashkir, but their land is called BASHKORTostan) - "Wolfheads"
            BUT
            They took the name from the non-Turcic people that lived in the region before the conquest.
            Hope that helps.

            Bye,
            Alex