Re: [sig] Interesting find

  • LiudmilaV@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2008
      I wonder if this is it:
      http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/sarafan/sarafan.htm

      If so, seems that there is more than one interpretation.

      Liudmila

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2008
        In case folks want it, here's the original article that Peter is
        summarizing: http://pskovarheolog.ru/68.html

        And here's Sofya's translation of it:
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PskovTranslation.html

        Just trying to get all the links in one place. :)

        --Kseniia

        --
        **********************************
        Kseniia Smolnianina, JdL
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2008
          Greetings All;
          A friend was asking about Bashkirs are from the Urals. Does anyone on
          the list have any info on these people. Thank You.
          AVL
        • John Kowal
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2008
            Whoops sorry about the header I should have changed it,
            avl
            On 14-Feb-08, at 5:05 PM, John Kowal wrote:

            > Greetings All;
            > A friend was asking about Bashkirs are from the Urals. Does anyone on
            > the list have any info on these people. Thank You.
            > AVL

          • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14, 2008
              Greetings.

              Bashkiria is the eastern neighbor of the region I come from.
              The Bashkir are the Turkic people, their land is indeed in the eastern Urals, see googlemaps for Ufa city etc. Or on the other hand - they are the easternmost Turks of the Volga region. They are spread from the South Urals (Oranburg/Orsk/Chelyabinsk) to East Urals (Ufa, Salavat).
              Ethimology: Bash + Kort/Hort (the people's name is Bashkir, but their land is called BASHKORTostan) - "Wolfheads"
              BUT
              They took the name from the non-Turcic people that lived in the region before the conquest.
              Hope that helps.

              Bye,
              Alex