Looking for Bohemian names

  • Palata Uma
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2008
      Greetings to the list.

      A friend of mine is considering a Bohemian persona. She is looking for a list of acceptable names. At this point, she is not sure about the exact time period. I've been to the Czech knowledge pages, but didn't find much on female names... Is there any other place we could look?

      Any advice would be much appeciated! Thank you,

      Zabava
    • Lewis Tanzos
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2008
        --- Palata Uma <Uma-Palata@...> wrote:

        > Greetings to the list.
        >
        > A friend of mine is considering a Bohemian persona.
        > She is looking for a list of acceptable names. At
        > this point, she is not sure about the exact time
        > period. I've been to the Czech knowledge pages, but
        > didn't find much on female names... Is there any
        > other place we could look?

        Howdy!

        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/walraven/lateczech/

        That's about all I can find.

        - Istvan

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Janin Wise
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2008
          Okay, so I did a little research and depending on WHEN she's playing a Bohemian, she can also have a German, Latin Christian, or Magyar name.

          Here are a couple of sites

          http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1464573
          (This is for men, but too good not to share. It's the names of Monarchs beginning in 850)

          http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/ger_f.php
          (This is a site on German names and gives the origin of the name-- you'll have to do a little extra research to nail down the exact date as they aren't listed)

          and from the same site

          http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/cze.php
          (Czech names)

          and

          http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/rom-late.php
          (Late Roman names)

          http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/bahlow_v.htm
          (SCA Medieval German Given Names from Silesia)

          http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/bynames/biblio.html
          (A list of books that provide Medieval Bynames in the area and surrounding)

          http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/Europe-Medieval/Germany.htm
          (A list of Old German names)

          http://home.arcor.de/mustangace/sca_germannames1.htm
          (15th and 16th Century German names, just click the link on the bottom for the type of name you're searching for)

          http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/guntram/kosice.htm
          (more German names from St. Gabriel's Academy)

          http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/England-Medieval/Latin.htm
          (Medieval names of Latin Origin)

          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1336/magyar16.html#thelist
          (16th Century Hungarian Personal Names)

          http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/magfem2.html
          (SCA Hungarian Feminine Names)

          http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/germ13.html
          (German Given Names)

          http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/Early_German_Bynames.html
          (SCA Early Middle High German Given Names)

          http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/germ15f.html
          (SCA 15th Century German Women Names)

          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/german/rottweil1441.html
          (German names 1441)

          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/german/german1495.html
          (German names 1495)

          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/german/kulmbach1495.html
          (more 1495 German names)

          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/german/womenssurnames.html
          (15-16 century German Women's Surnames)

          and in searching for names, I came across this, which was too cool not to share--

          http://www.kb.se/codex-gigas/eng/Long/handskriftens/bokproduktion/
          (A Medieval Bohemian Book Collection, with pictures!)

          Enjoy (:

          --Cigan Oszinte

          > A friend of mine is considering a Bohemian persona.

          > She is looking for a list of acceptable names. At

          > this point, she is not sure about the exact time

          > period. I've been to the Czech knowledge pages, but

          > didn't find much on female names... Is there any

          > other place we could look?

          Howdy!

          http://www.s- gabriel.org/ names/walraven/ lateczech/

          That's about all I can find.