13th century ice skates?

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2008
      Hi all,
      I found an interesting tidbit of information about a 12-13th century
      shoe sole with metal bits on the bottom. I was wondering if anyone
      might read the description and think 'ah! that's from this
      book/website/journal/place' because I would love to know more!

      See the bottom of: http://www.iceskatesmuseum.com/museum-e/e-byz-klmpn.htm

      I have e-mailed the website author, but I thought I might try here too
      for information.

      ~Asfridhr
    • Palata Uma
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2008
        Unfortunately, the picture doesn't ring a bell, but... I'm fairly sure that
        the name of the location is misspelled; there is no "Mozahaisk" near Moscow,
        but there is a city of Mozhaisk. Or rather Mozhaysk, as the city prefers to
        spell it. I did a quick search on yandex.ru and it appears that there was a
        large excavation in Mozhaysk in 2005-2006, in its kremlin. There is a
        description of the project on the city's website, and a gallery of finds.
        http://www.mozhaysk.ru/?tp=arheolog . On the navigation bar on the left of
        the page, the red link reads "Archeology", and the four indented links under
        it are: "Map of the [kremlin] hill", "Finds", "Photoalbum" and "About the
        project". Hopefully, your skates are somewhere there among the finds! Good
        luck.

        Zabava

        > I found an interesting tidbit of information about a 12-13th century
        > shoe sole with metal bits on the bottom. I was wondering if anyone
        > might read the description and think 'ah! that's from this
        > book/website/journal/place' because I would love to know more!
        >
        > See the bottom of: http://www.iceskatesmuseum.com/museum-e/e-byz-klmpn.htm
        >
        > I have e-mailed the website author, but I thought I might try here too
        > for information.
        >
        > ~Asfridhr
      • quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2008
          Zabava,
          You are amazing! Thank-you for finding that website. It didn't seem to
          have anything about the ice skates, but it had other pretty things to
          look at. =)

          Kind regards,
          Asfridhr