Help! I've been shanghaied!

  • David
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2008
      Dear SIG,

      Y'all have been so very helpful to me in researching a name and
      beginning to develop my personna. I have filled out my application
      for name registration and am getting help from the Northern Regional
      Herald on designing a device and badge to send alltogether. I went
      to POP meeting last night and was caught completely off-guard when I
      heard the Baron call out a very strange name, requesting that "David
      Stonefiddle" come forward. I sat there for a moment in disbelief
      before the Baron looked at me and said "That's you, isn't it?" I was
      totally speachless as I was presented with my AOA in the name
      of "David Stonefiddle" Aaaaaack! It was dated Dec 8th. Ive been
      using Andrei since November! Aaaaaackkk!

      I had only came to the SCA last March and was told by many to take
      my time choosing a name/personna and that some people don't settle on
      one for years. So, I read, studied, contemplated, dreamt, asked
      questions and researched some more and finally decided who I wanted
      to be, "Andrei Iosifev syn", of 10th century Novgorod. I really want
      my SCA experience to be historically realistic and accurate.

      I couldn't sleep last night, wondering what I could do about this
      unexpected turn of events. How could I live as "David Stonefiddle"
      in ancient Russia. Then it occurred to me that maybe I could
      add "vnuk Davyd" to make "Andrei Iosifev syn vnuk Davyd" or "Andrei
      Iosifev vnuk Davyd" . Does that work? If it will work then I only
      have to figure out what to do about "Stonefiddle". Is there any way
      to slavify this?

      Please don't get me wrong. I am very honored that someone
      recommended me for an AOA, but ....

      AAAaaaaaaccckkkkkkk!

      Still in shock and disbelief,
      Andrukh
    • Robert Lewis
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 29, 2008
        An important point to remember, YOU got the AoA, not your persona, just make
        sure your Kingdom Order of Precidence reflects the name you finally decide
        on, and if you really want an AoA scroll that reflects your Novgorod
        persona, you can always commission a scribe to make you a new one that also
        has your arms on it once you get them registered.

        At least you received your AoA early enough in to your time in the SCA that
        the award itself has some meaning to you. I received mine after 13 years in
        the SCA, during which time I was pretty active, serving as an officer and
        volunteering pretty heavily at Estrella War. The scroll still had a blank
        shield, when my arms had been registered for at least 10 years at that
        point, can you tell I was underwhelmed by the award? But at least the Queen
        (who knew my wife through a friend of ours) had the sense to ask my wife if
        I would refuse if I was offered my AOA at that point.

        Ivan Kosinski
        College of Brymstonne
        Atenveldt

        MKA Rob Lewis
      • L.M. Kies
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 29, 2008
          Exactly. Lots of people have awards in names that they no longer use. Your Kingdom Order of Precedence will have a system in place to keep track of defunct names and the awards given under them - but you have to tell them about the problem to start the process.

          Sofya

        • LiudmilaV@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 29, 2008
            couldn't sleep last night, wondering what I could do about this

            unexpected turn of events. How could I live as "David Stonefiddle"

            in ancient Russia. Then it occurred to me that maybe I could

            add "vnuk Davyd" to make "Andrei Iosifev syn vnuk Davyd" or "Andrei

            Iosifev vnuk Davyd" . Does that work? If it will work then I only

            have to figure out what to do about "Stonefiddle". Is there any way

            to slavify this?

            Dear Andrei, this is completely unnecessary. Once you register your chosen name, the heralds will connect the AOA in the order? of precedence to it. We have (or had, she moved out now) a duchess here in Caid who reigned under one name, used another later, now is registered under third and is considering a different name for her now Chinese persona. She is a Laurel and a Pelican, and a bunch of other stuff, and all of that kept up with her name changes. So, no need to loose any more sleep or to mutilate the name you want.

            Liudmila,
            who now wishes she did not let the experts talk her into "Vladimirova doch' " since "Valdimirovna would be fine in her particular, late, time period.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 30, 2008
              Thank you Liudmila, Sofya and Ivan for explaining things to me. Now I'll be able to sleep at night.

              Some new news: I contacted the husband & wife I thought had recommended me ('cause they had threatened to do so) to thank them but they said they didn't have anything to do with it. That couple said that when I scribed an original unique scroll of Ambassadorial Credentials for TRM Ansteorra at the end of last summer and they found out I didn't have my AOA they decreed that I should receive it by their hand. I have just learnt this this morning and am totally flabbergasted about it. Maybe I won't be able to sleep tonight anyway. LOL

              Spaceebo again,

              Andrukh
              who doesn't mind at all being shanghaied by royalty

              PS: I think it's been posted but I couldn't find the post about whether I should use the designation "lord" or a slavic version thereof.

              To: sig@yahoogroups.comFrom: LiudmilaV@...: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:04:18 -0500Subject: Re: [sig] Help! I've been shanghaied!

              couldn't sleep last night, wondering what I could do about this unexpected turn of events. How could I live as "David Stonefiddle" in ancient Russia. Then it occurred to me that maybe I could add "vnuk Davyd" to make "Andrei Iosifev syn vnuk Davyd" or "Andrei Iosifev vnuk Davyd" . Does that work? If it will work then I only have to figure out what to do about "Stonefiddle". Is there any way to slavify this?Dear Andrei, this is completely unnecessary. Once you register your chosen name, the heralds will connect the AOA in the order? of precedence to it. We have (or had, she moved out now) a duchess here in Caid who reigned under one name, used another later, now is registered under third and is considering a different name for her now Chinese persona. She is a Laurel and a Pelican, and a bunch of other stuff, and all of that kept up with her name changes. So, no need to loose any more sleep or to mutilate the name you want.Liudmila,who now wishes she did not let the experts talk her into "Vladimirova doch' " since "Valdimirovna would be fine in her particular, late, time period.-----Original Message-----From: David <stonefiddle@...>To: sig@yahoogroups.comSent: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:21 amSubject: [sig] Help! I've been shanghaied!Dear SIG,Y'all have been so very helpful to me in researching a name and beginning to develop my personna. I have filled out my application for name registration and am getting help from the Northern Regional Herald on designing a device and badge to send alltogether. I went to POP meeting last night and was caught completely off-guard when I heard the Baron call out a very strange name, requesting that "David Stonefiddle" come forward. I sat there for a moment in disbelief before the Baron looked at me and said "That's you, isn't it?" I was totally speachless as I was presented with my AOA in the name of "David Stonefiddle" Aaaaaack! It was dated Dec 8th. Ive been using Andrei since November! Aaaaaackkk!I had only came to the SCA last March and was told by many to take my time choosing a name/personna and that some people don't settle on one for years. So, I read, studied, contemplated, dreamt, asked questions and researched some more and finally decided who I wanted to be, "Andrei Iosifev syn", of 10th century Novgorod. I really want my SCA experience to be historically realistic and accurate.I couldn't sleep last night, wondering what I could do about this unexpected turn of events. How could I live as "David Stonefiddle" in ancient Russia. Then it occurred to me that maybe I could add "vnuk Davyd" to make "Andrei Iosifev syn vnuk Davyd" or "Andrei Iosifev vnuk Davyd" . Does that work? If it will work then I only have to figure out what to do about "Stonefiddle". Is there any way to slavify this?Please don't get me wrong. I am very honored that someone recommended me for an AOA, but .... AAAaaaaaaccckkkkkkk!Still in shock and disbelief,Andrukh__________________________________________________________More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! - http://webmail.aol.com[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

            • Robert Lewis
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 30, 2008
                Then count yourself very lucky, you know exactly why you got your AoA, the
                only other reason that I think should make a person feel as proud is if they
                got it because so many people from their home group lobbied for it to
                happen.

                Do you have any pictures of the scroll you made?

                Ivan Kosinski
                College of Brymstonne
                Atenveldt

                MKA Rob Lewis
              • L.M. Kies
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 30, 2008
                  You may use the title "Lord" if you like, since most of those we interact with are not Russian. Or you can use "Pomestnik" as the current official Russian alternate title for "Lord". Or you can wait to see what the new Russian Alternate Titles Committee (RATC) comes up with.

                  :-)

                  Sofya